Send us a suggestion!

More FreezeFest Tips

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by tj_wetherell, Dec 8, 2010.

1. tj_wetherell

tj_wetherell Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    An annual rite. I dig this old post out and put it out there.

From my notes, Freezefest 2009 - lessons learned:

*Keeping water from freezing can be tough. Place water bottles (wrapped with black "pipe tape") inside car in sunny window during day kept them lukewarm

*My feet were very cold with thin neo's over wool socks (in wet canyons)

*neo gloves with poly liners were great for the Black Hole.

*Thawing and drying gear is tough to do!

*Drysuit was fine for the black hole with both light and med therm underwear as insulation

*Stove fuel needs to be kept above freezing (isobutane and denatured alc)

*Need a closed cell foam pad under thermarest, even if sleeping in car

*Always bring more beer, you might make a decent profit....

*Thermos(s) of hot beverage (in-canyon) is really valuable. Have a second in the car for after the canyon is done.

*Food: high fat, protein, eat constantly.

*Even if it does not appear to be required, if you are in a position to offer assistance, offer it and let the person decline.

*Consider what will happen to you if a drysuit fails! Plan accordingly.

*Bring thank-yous for people who go out of there way (cook breakfast, supply extra firewood, give you beer, rig ropes) AKA Mapelton Boys, Dave Black, Lisa Jennings the dutch oven Goddess....

*Tag-team one person helps others through obstacle for a bit, then someone who just exited takes over allowing the previous to keep moving and warm.

*Be able to eat on the run

-tom(w)
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Tom...thanks for the reminders on several "lessons learned" from the past. More on these....

I find that 5mm neos work great and the feet feel about the same as it does in March or other months. Two pair, to alternate with daily is key. Warm water to unfreeze frozen ones (careless planing) works wonderfully and a bit more warm water in the sock before putting it on is even better. Your body heat then keeps them comfortable

Wet shoes tend to shrink when they freeze overnight. Stuffing a cotton shirt or the like, into them when your done with them, sucks out some of the moisture and then when and if they freeze, they freeze big enough that your foot fits into then easily. Warm water on then unfreezes them quickly and easily.

Make sure the water used to unfreeze shoes and socks isn't too hot or you will do a different type of dance!

Dish washing gloves, the cheap 50 cent to dollar kind, fit inside Atlas gloves if you size them well. A stout rubber band around the wrist stops water from flowing in and out so freely and the wet hands warm up nicely inside the gloves. The Atlas gloves on the outside remain stellar for climbing and rappin with. Do note there is a tad of movement between the two gloves so one needs to pay attention to that. Snug, but not too tight a fit is ideal. Thanks to Koen for the idea on the group a few years back. It works.

I used a somewhat unethical method of drying some gear last year. I turned the car and the heat on, pointed the heat and the wet stuff, came by periodically to "turn" the gear and it would dry. It is not good for the environment, is rude to you neighbors with the exhaust. You risk running out of gas, but it will work in a pinch.

Stove fuel doesn't like the cold, as Tom mentioned. If its too cold and sluggish, shaking it violently will get it working better for a short time. Better to keep it warm to start with

I have heard that air containing sleeping pad systems are problematic due to the air getting cold. I use multiple closed cell pads.

Waking and getting going in the morning is the only REALLY tough part of the Fest. This is made easier by a 5 mile trip, with the car heater on, to the Hog Springs bathroom facility in the morning. Remember to have the shoes and socks near the floor board heaters!

Everything Tom said is spot on. He said "Be able to eat on the run" It needs to be said more than once. Have all the fancy food you want, but have bars, in their wrappers (surprisingly waterproof) easily accessible. Then EAT them! Then offer bites to everyone around you. Often!

More lessons others have learned?? Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "tj_wetherell" <tj_wetherell@...> wrote:
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

An annual rite. I dig this old post out and put it out there.
    From my notes, Freezefest 2009 - lessons learned:
    *Keeping water from freezing can be tough. Place water bottles (wrapped with black "pipe tape") inside car in sunny window during day kept them lukewarm
    *My feet were very cold with thin neo's over wool socks (in wet canyons)
    *neo gloves with poly liners were great for the Black Hole.
    *Thawing and drying gear is tough to do!
    *Drysuit was fine for the black hole with both light and med therm underwear as insulation
    *Stove fuel needs to be kept above freezing (isobutane and denatured alc)
    *Need a closed cell foam pad under thermarest, even if sleeping in car
    *Always bring more beer, you might make a decent profit....
    *Thermos(s) of hot beverage (in-canyon) is really valuable. Have a second in the car for after the canyon is done.
    *Food: high fat, protein, eat constantly.
    *Even if it does not appear to be required, if you are in a position to offer assistance, offer it and let the person decline.
    *Consider what will happen to you if a drysuit fails! Plan accordingly.
    *Bring thank-yous for people who go out of there way (cook breakfast, supply extra firewood, give you beer, rig ropes) AKA Mapelton Boys, Dave Black, Lisa Jennings the dutch oven Goddess....
    *Tag-team one person helps others through obstacle for a bit, then someone who just exited takes over allowing the previous to keep moving and warm.
    *Be able to eat on the run
    -tom(w) >