Send us a suggestion!

Monster rapide in Mystery

Discussion in 'Utah' started by Pictish, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Pictish

Pictish

I remember seeing old discussion in the yahoo archives of a dangerously large rapide hanging from one of the final anchors in Mystery canyon. There appears to be a new one in place.

I was lucky enough to draw a permit for labor day and found the bolts at the final rap into the narrows double rigged. There was new looking bright red webbing tied off with a "regular" quick link while the chains held a shiny CAMP rapide large enough to pass a BD positron screw-lock through it. I couldn't get it open with my fingers and I wasn't carrying a wrench. Maybe the next forum reader who draws a mystery permit could toss an adjustable wrench in their pack and pull the bloody thing.
  2. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

image.

Found this in Nighhawk not to far back.
    Bill likes this.
  3. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

I found this one in Goblin a few months ago. We removed it and Im pretty sure its currently somewhere in my garage.
    ea9f9da101ef3405dd370fb4b6ed74a8.
  4. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

Some folks use 11 mm rope...I've heard the BSA sometimes use fat ropes, and went out w/some folks recently who were using 11mm BWII.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Pictish

Pictish

Probably the same folks that always rig DRT and are unfamiliar with 'biner blocks. And use dynamic rope in canyons.
    Deagol likes this.
  6. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Here is a win-win: folks use releasable systems (which require something a tad bit beefier than a biner block) and the rapide is a lesser issue. Hank's point is also considered, and not impacted. Oh yeah, and the group is also now safer! (provided someone knows how to rig and release said system)

I will be in Mystery on Thursday (15th) and will take a look.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Deagol likes this.
  7. ScottM

Try girth-hitching a piece of cordage around the screw-gate, cinch down and turn, you will be amazed at how well this technique works.
    Pictish and Deagol like this.
  8. ScottM

Great visual. Wondering if this would still be an issue with modern HMS (pear shaped) biners? I get the point though, not everyone carries the same size/shape biners.
  9. Dave Melton

Dave Melton

You mean like this ? We found this one in Birch Hollow image.
    ratagonia likes this.
  10. ScottM

Actually, I meant the specific one in Bill's picture. Yes, that is indeed a very large rapide.
  11. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

If I recall correctly an Attache didnt quite fit but I wouldn't risk my life on it.
    Dave Melton likes this.
  12. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Or, are fully aware of the biner block and rappelling single and choose to not use that technique.

Folks rappel on dynamic ropes by a significant order of magnitude more than static ropes in the US and the world. That just shouldn't be an issue.

Folks could always add a smaller rapide to facilitate whatever rap method and rope diameter they choose. Easy enough to snap onto the webbing/cord. Easy enough to remove.

I'd think an adjustable wrench for tightening bolts and/or rapides would be part of the standard group kit?

I wouldn't see these larger rapides as the problem because I'd be rigging that drop for rappelling on two strands And, I know how to knot/biner block. My preference was and is to rap double strand unless I'm in water flow and feel the need to rig for contingency. So do others who descend Mystery apparently (ha ha).

YMMV. Cheers!
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  13. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

So leave more stuff behind? :)
    Pictish likes this.
  14. gajslk

gajslk

People are still using biner blocks? Why? DRT is quicker and safer.

Gordon
    Scott Patterson likes this.
  15. hank moon

hank moon lovely ligatures

16. gajslk

gajslk

LOL Stirring the pot. Seriously, folks need to bring their brains along. You shouldn't use a biner block unless you understand it well enough to avoid the common pitfalls. Or the common freefalls.

Gordon
    hank moon and Rapterman like this.
  17. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Those were painful to get through. Blech.
  18. Pictish

Pictish

Gordon, the final drop in Mystery is listed as 120'. I don't own a 240' rope. That's a fairly odd length. I could have brought my 120' and 200' and done DRT or I could have done as I did and brought a rope and a pull cord. I like carrying less weight. Especially on an approach like that.

Brian, not having a wrench now seems like an oversight and I've thrown a small one into my bag with the other things I never want to have to use (ascenders, first aid kit, emergency bivy sack, etc...). It never struck me that opening a jammed rapide would be needful for my or a subsequent groups safety. Live and learn. As for dynamic rope I fully understand that it is used far more commonly for rappels than static. Mostly because Climbers use their climbing rope to drop off a pitch and there are vastly more climbers than canyoneers. How does that apply here? It's my understanding that Dynamic rope is not an appropriate tool for canyoneering. I don't doubt it's used all the time in canyons, but that doesn't make it wise to do so.
    ratagonia likes this.
  19. Pictish

Pictish

You get a chance to take a loot at the rapide on Thursday Scott?

20. ratagonia

ratagonia

Pictish - If you are unable to tie two ropes together, perhaps canyoneering is not the sport for you.

Tom