Send us a suggestion!

moderators

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Mark Lewis, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Mark Lewis

Mark Lewis Guest

Who are all 10 moderators anyways?

Mark Lewis SLC
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

Moderators are:

Tom Jones (owner) Hank Moon (backup owner) Steve Ram Charly Oliver Dean Kurtz Hank Moon Dave Black James Kip Marshall Kris Nosack Scott Holley Steve Brezovec

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Mark Lewis" <mwlewis27@c...> wrote: > Who are all 10 moderators anyways?
    Mark Lewis > SLC
  3. > Moderators are:
    Tom Jones (owner) > Hank Moon (backup owner) > Steve Ram > Charly Oliver > Dean Kurtz > Hank Moon > Dave Black > James Kip Marshall > Kris Nosack > Scott Holley > Steve Brezovec

WOW!!! With a couple of exceptions that list looks like a "who's who" and a "who was" of the ACA. Gee, it's funny how it's only the guys questioning the ACA (Brian Cabe, Bill Bees, Joe Wrona and myself) who get moderated. Excluding the spammers, have you guys ever actually moderate anyone else?

Even more funny is the fact that one member on that list "posing" under an aliases has made personal attacks and never been moderated.

Shane
  4. >WOW!!! With a couple of exceptions that list looks like a "who's who" and a >"who was" of the ACA. Gee, it's funny how it's only the guys questioning >the ACA (Brian Cabe, Bill Bees, Joe Wrona and myself) who get moderated.

Since Tom became owner of this group, no-one has ever been moderated for questioning the ACA. For other reasons, yes. Lose the complex - it's bad for your complexion.

>Excluding the spammers, have you guys ever actually moderate anyone else?

Yes...and moderators have also been moderated (e.g. me, Steve B). There are other examples outside the "Gang of 4" but I'll let them speak up if they wanna.

>Even more funny is the fact that one member on that list "posing" under an >aliases has made personal attacks and never been moderated.

More innuendo and no concrete facts - pony up, poser!

hank
  5. Scott Holley

Scott Holley Guest

So shane, I am a who's who in the ACA? Yeah, I just re-laminated my membership card (do they have cards?). Nothing against Rich, but the ACA has never been my bag of tea. I have had a malted beverage with rich and never had a problem except the red hair is kinda annoying. Not sure who has been making personal attacks under an alias that is a moderator, but I would be interested to know. No reason that the ACA should not be a huge part of this group, it is after all their brain child. From what I can tell the list of people on here that are not ACA members are: Steve Ram, Scott Holley, and Steve Brezovec for anyone that cares. I do not like Brian Cabe because he likes to wear extremely tight women's underwear, but that has never stopped him from calling me at work and begging me to go on a date with him and Mr. bosch or Hilti.

So to the point now... Your saying that this group is all pro ACA and our only intent is to rid the world of evil non ACA loving peoples it seems. All I am going to say this is that it is BULL! When the moderation on the group was different this may have been an issue. I don't give a crap who says what as long as they are not making personal attacks or they are making constructive arguments (i.e. The bolt argument was good in its day but is well past it's prime with the exception of the occasional comments). Moderating Joe was not something that one or two people decided. There was a fairly lengthy discussion before it was decided upon. Moderating anyone is a pain in the butt because it requires oversight and I am lazy. My opinion is if someone can not play fair they do not even deserve the right of being moderated. Joe is not an idiot, he knows how to behave and chose not to do so, end of story. If you want to be silly and make this an us vs. them argument Shane go ahead, but I am not playing that game and I resent broad generalizations that make me the same as others just because my name was placed next to theirs. I am very capable of making my own choices.

I am done with this argument on group and so is everyone else. If anyone has issues with any of the moderation and feels that it is/was done for a poor reason, please EMAIL ME DIRECTLY AT scotth (at) payrollperfect (dot) com and I WILL be very willing to discuss these issues with you (this includes Shane, brain, bill, and Joe). Lets let the group move on, this is a dead horse and shooting it more is not going to kill it again for everyone here.

Scott

-----Original Message----- From: Shane Burrows [mailto:shane@sisna.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 9:08 AM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: Re: [from Canyons Group] Re: Moderators

> Moderators are:
    Tom Jones (owner) > Hank Moon (backup owner) > Steve Ram > Charly Oliver > Dean Kurtz > Hank Moon > Dave Black > James Kip Marshall > Kris Nosack > Scott Holley > Steve Brezovec

WOW!!! With a couple of exceptions that list looks like a "who's who" and a "who was" of the ACA. Gee, it's funny how it's only the guys questioning the ACA (Brian Cabe, Bill Bees, Joe Wrona and myself) who get moderated. Excluding the spammers, have you guys ever actually moderate anyone else?

Even more funny is the fact that one member on that list "posing" under an aliases has made personal attacks and never been moderated.

Shane

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

Bombastic Bolt Debates are allowed to only a limited extent. Folks should go to the Canyoneer Group for a truly un-moderated forum. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyoneer

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My

Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.

Your use of Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

--- Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 6/30/2003

--- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 6/30/2003
  6. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shane Burrows" <shane@s...> wrote:
    Moderators are:

Tom Jones (owner)
    Hank Moon (backup owner)
    Steve Ram
    Charly Oliver
    Dean Kurtz
    Hank Moon
    Dave Black
    James Kip Marshall
    Kris Nosack
    Scott Holley
    Steve Brezovec
    WOW!!! With a couple of exceptions that list looks like a "who's who" and a > "who was" of the ACA. Gee, it's funny how it's only the guys questioning > the ACA (Brian Cabe, Bill Bees, Joe Wrona and myself) who get moderated.

Shane has called into question the ethics and bias of moderators. It is a reasonable request to know where individuals on this group stand on certain issues as they have been empowered to moderate. I am a member of the ACA, OCA and the ZCC. I joined the ACA when this E- group was a part of the ACA. I did so to meet new partners and attend rendezvous. My only involvement with the ACA since the beginning is to have entered the "Canyon Stories" contest. Shortly there after, the ACA narrowed it's focus and the OCA sprung up with the idea of informal get togethers and took ownership of this chat group. I, like Dave, found out that I had been drafted into moderator status. I. too, have never moderated anyone, but have been involved in many of the discussion on the issue, including this recent one. My instincts are like Mr. Cabe's that any curtailing of free speech is a bad idea. Still the group operates with rules and the tone of the questioned post and its unprovoked nature was clearly a violation. If Joe W. will allow me, him and I have never met but have developed a friendship through e-mail. One I hope will survive this storm. He feels that using his shock methods is an effective way to move the group in the direction ethically he feels is right. He also feels entrusted by his friends to represent them such. My arguement, in discussion with him, is that it may have been an effective approach at one time, may have!, but that day has passed as the group in general, agrees pretty closely with his belief system. I hope the wounds here, heal and that Joe and his friends will bring there wisdom and experience to the table. Hopefully, even more so I joined the ZCC at its inception, because I feel strongly about access issues particularly where National Park Service is involved. I believe there instincts toward restrictions needs to be challenged and am proud to be an advocate. As far as the bolt issue is concerned. I weigh in on the side with Joe W., Bill, Shane and Dave in wishing to see them eliminated or at the very least stopped where they are. I hold this belief only for the Colorado Plateau. I remain uncertain about including Zion, because of it's unique history. I think it is important that the group in general know that this forum, owned by Tom, is open to all. It does not represent the ACA or the Senior Canyoneering community or anyone else, but is an avenue to discuss, share and advocate (Politely!) ideas. Shane, I am in no ones pocket. I don't believe the others are either. Fair inquirery

RAM
  7. Scott Holley

Scott Holley Guest

There is a difference between shock and attack. Some people revert consistently to name calling, that is and never should be an acceptable way to communicate in an adult (or semi-dult) setting. Joe would not do that to a judge or peer, no reason it should happen here

Scott

-----Original Message----- From: adkramoo [mailto:adkramoo@aol.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 10:36 AM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Moderators

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Shane Burrows" <shane@s...> wrote:
    Moderators are:

--- lots of snipped stuff ----- ---- Ram wrote -------- He feels that using his shock methods is an effective way to move the group in the direction ethically he feels is right. He also feels entrusted by his friends to represent them such. My arguement, in discussion with him, is that it may have been an effective approach at one time, may have!, but that day has passed as the group in general, agrees pretty closely with his belief system.

--- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 - Release Date: 6/30/2003
  8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Guest

For gods' sakes men - do your duty!

Please!

I mean, I'm begging you here...

Tim

9. cardlaw22

cardlaw22 Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Tim Hoover <frisbeedog02@...> wrote:
    Please!
    Tim
    > > > http://mail.yahoo.com
    If you are refering to the Grand Canyon age debate, I'm with you brother. I am more interested in Dick Clark's brand of formaldehyde that I am in that debate.

Scott Card
  10. Hank Moon

Hank Moon Guest

What? Gene Wilder is one of my favorites, too. Depp as Wonka? Bah!

hank

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of Tim Hoover Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 3:42 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] moderators

Please!

Tim

--- The information in this message and/or attachments is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error and any use of it is prohibited. In such a case please notify the sender and kindly delete this message from your computer and network.

Thank you, Petzl America
  11. Hank Moon

Hank Moon Guest

Ohhhh, the GC thing. Well, I agree that it's beyond the scope of this group. The limitations of listservs are apparent here. Maybe it could be taken to a subsection of the ACA board where it is not foisted upon all who receive direct email from this group? Dunno if Rich and Co. would like it, but wouldn't hurt to ask. As of now, the topic is "off" the group. Please refrain from further posting on the GC debate.

Mod Squad _______________________________

From: Yahoo Canyons Group [mailto:Yahoo Canyons Group] On Behalf Of cardlaw22 Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 4:15 PM To: Yahoo Canyons Group Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: moderators

If you are refering to the Grand Canyon age debate, I'm with you brother. I am more interested in Dick Clark's brand of formaldehyde that I am in that debate.

--- The information in this message and/or attachments is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee and may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error and any use of it is prohibited. In such a case please notify the sender and kindly delete this message from your computer and network.

Thank you, Petzl America
  12. --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Hank Moon" <hmoon@...> wrote: > Ohhhh, the GC thing. Well, I agree that it's beyond the scope of this > group.

So the Grand Canyon is beyond the scope of the Canyon Group. That is funny. I for one am glad the moderators let the thread run its course. It was interesting and entertaining. Some of the folks on this list really need thicker skin.
  13. onkaluna

onkaluna Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Wade Christensen" <wade@...> wrote:
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Hank Moon" <hmoon@> wrote:
    Ohhhh, the GC thing. Well, I agree that it's beyond the scope of this
    group.
    So the Grand Canyon is beyond the scope of the Canyon Group. That is > funny. I for one am glad the moderators let the thread run its > course. It was interesting and entertaining. Some of the folks on > this list really need thicker skin.

It's not so much about thick or thick skin...more about the way the group operates. Not everyone wants to wade through philosophical debates to find the stuff they signed up for. Could be a fine discussion for a more sophisticated board (e.g. ACA), but internet discussions rarely influence one's thinking/feeling on such topics.

hank