Send us a suggestion!

Moab Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canyonero, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

I'd like to try something new in Moab this month. What are the best canyons within a 20-30 minute drive of Moab not on this list (all of which I've done, most multiple times). Preference given to canyons that can be done without a wetsuit in March, but if it's good enough, we'll deal with that issue. I'm looking for quality of the overall experience.

Pleiades (is it too late to go ice climbing? Because that would be totally worth doing it again. Canyoneer down and ice climb back up.)
    U Turn
    TearDrop
    Dragonfly
    Medieval Chamber
    Entrajo
    Rock of Ages

We might take some of the kids on some of these too, so any kid specific comments welcome.
  2. Canyonero

Canyonero

Some specific questions:

How big of a deal is the high stemming in SGR? Is the worst of it what you see at 1:20-1:40 on this video here? http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/sgr.htm

Is a kid competent enough to get down Mystery going to find Winter Camp and Undercover fun?

Anyone have directions to the top of Whisper Canyon? I see the trip report online but it looks like the first descentionist team is still keeping it under wraps?

I think Granary may end up on the list too. I was meaning to do that a few months ago but had to cancel the trip. What month does the falcon closure start?
  3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Perhaps Blake can chime in on SRG, he took the footage with his GoPro in that video. Looks like a fun one.

Granary is fantastic. I've done it a couple of times with my family. MMI is another that you missed with a fun 100' free hang rap.
    Blake Merrell likes this.
  4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Winter Camp is short, but has some great views. I took my then 6 year old through, and he loved it.
  5. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

FWIW- everything out by Winter Camp is a two hour drive from Moab, each way.

I don't see Elephant Butte on your list, which is arguably the best route in Moab.

Also Big Horn has everything you are asking for and is not on your list.

As mentioned Granary is good, but long, it's best done in cool/cold weather or the heat is vicious.
    Mountaineer likes this.
  6. Luca

Luca

7. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

Winter Camp is a fair drive outside of Moab but there are three canyons out there and it can make a great day of adventuring, espeicially if kids are somewhat solid. Both Winter Camp and Repeat have ~190' raps at that top, and then are non-tech below. What we've done several times (for lots of fun each time) is do the rap into Winter Camp, leave the rope, explore out (cool side canyons to scramble up in the lower half and to scramble down on the walk out) and collect the rope after we've finished. Then, we go over and hike down to the bottom and explore up into Repeat and "Fun Size", the little guy next door to Repeat. I've always found Repeat to be the most boring of the bunch, it's short, deep, but never that tight? It was fun when it had the dead cow at the end but bet that might be gone? "Fun Size" is a fun micro slot and would be a good place to take some kids as it has some perfect kiddie stemming practice. It's short but don't underestimate how much fun you can have in it. Then just hike back up and out.

It's a bit of a drive but the tradeoff is you can get more solitude than other areas around Moab. I've been out to this area probably half a dozen times and have never seen in anyone in these canyons. Also none of them seem to hold any water either so they are a nice dry adventure.

Inside "Fun Size"- it gets more narrow too
    PA201798.JPG
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

SGR is the most difficult canyon I've done on Moab, but it is relatively easy compared to other canyons in the state. The crux of the route would be easy to do if there is no snow. If there is lots of snow I'd recommend to wait till it melts. The crux is pretty straight forward too. The high stemming didn't seem high because the crack below gets really skinny and ya can't really see the bottom of the canyon. Rigging the rappel at the end can be really tricky though.
    Mountaineer likes this.
  9. Canyonero

Canyonero

Thanks for all the info. We're leaning toward Granary. Anyone know the status of the ice in Pleiades?
  10. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

11. Canyonero

Canyonero

They said they didn't think there has been climbable ice there since late January. They also said the "lambing" closure for Granary Canyon starts April 1st if anyone cares.
    Deagol likes this.
  12. Canyonero

Canyonero