Send us a suggestion!

Moab Canyons for beginners in mid March?

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Sutitan, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Sutitan

Sutitan

I usually make a trip with some friends to Moab around mid March and last time we went, I decided to take a few of thet in some canyons. We did medieval chamber and Elephant Butte which I considered to be pretty straight forward and simple. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for similar canyons. Looking for beginner friendly, mostly if not entirely dry, and not a ton of rappels (took some time to get everyone down, few first timers). Most, if not everyone climbs so they're fairly comfortable with scrambling, exposure, and ropes to an extent. From my quick searching, it looks like U-turn could be good but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!
  2. Kevin

Kevin

If I were you I'd skip Moab and drive a little further to North wash. Plenty of stuff for beginners and the canyons are far more interesting.
    Bill likes this.
  3. Sutitan

Sutitan

Most of them climb and go to Moab for climbing so it might be a hard pitch (no pun intended) to get them to go somewhere else. We're all coming from Denver, so the extra drive time probably wouldn't help my case.
  4. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

Big Horn, U-Turn, Upper Cut, Lizzard Country, Fins & Things all meet your requirements.

If you want something closer to Colorado then Undercover, MMI, Winterslot and Repeat Jr all meet your requirements. They are all considered Moab canyons but accessed from the East side of Arches NP (90 minute drive from Moab).
  5. Canyonero

Canyonero

U turn is quick and easy and totally dry. It's neighbor Tierdrop, is very similar but with trickier anchors. Pool Arch/Rock of Ages is nice with very short wet sections. Dragonfly not too bad either. You'll get a little wet though.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  6. Bill

Bill ... Staff Member

Another vote for U-Turn and Dragonfly.
  7. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

I vote for Dragonfly as well. A bit wet but on a hot day very nice and the walk down canyon is pretty.
  8. RockGremlin

RockGremlin Dan Ransom fanboi

Another vote for Dragonfly here. It's a great blend of technical + beauty.
  9. Sutitan

Sutitan

All these votes for Dragonfly are seriously making me consider, but it seems like without a doubt there will be water. I imagine the majority of the group will not have wetsuits. Ill keep my eye on the forecast, but I dont think it'll get warm enough for us to go without wetsuits. U-turn is probably still at the top of the list. Uppercut is up there but im a bit concerned with a large group hanging out on that last ledge. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!
  10. yetigonecrazy1

yetigonecrazy1 yeti in the jungle

I'll throw in a x2 for Winter Camp/Repeat/Fun Size.....Three decent canyons, Winter Camp and Repeat each just one rappel, bit big but easy and straightforward. Fun Size is a tiny mini-slot right next to Repeat that is fun to scramble around in for a half hour at the end of the day. Not a lot of crowds out there either, and good views. Bit far from Moab itself but lots of fun and beginner friendly
  11. Iceaxe

Iceaxe

Dragonfly is a great route. In normal conditions the standard Dragonfly route has two mandatory swims, they are both short and relatively close together. Also make sure you know how to identify poison ivy as the last half of the route has a lot of it, including the final rappel.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    ratagonia likes this.
  12. Sutitan

Sutitan

Trip postponed to mid April! Dragonfly will probably be at the top my list assuming we have nice weather. We were there roughly the same time last year and it was toasty during the day with a bit of chill once the sun set. Thanks for the heads up on the poison ivy. if only grape vines or something I could eat would grow as quickly and be as resilient as poison ivy...
  13. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

I have worn my wet suit in Dragonfly in March and April, but I have also done it is brisk conditions without the suit. I stripped down to, well, nothing, and made the short two swims ( a few swimming stokes max ) and shivered and then suited back up quickly. Being wimpy, I prefer the suit, but with swims so short, as long as its not terribly cold, you can do this hike without. Just be prepared to layer back up fast. Nano puff and hat help big.