Send us a suggestion!

Missing Hiker - AZ - Lake Roosevelt Area

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by clangingsymbol01, Feb 23, 2020.

1. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

Got word this morning there is an overdue/missing hiker. Was out yesterday (Saturday Feb 22). In the Lake Roosevelt area. Not sure exactly where from there. I believe he was out with someone and they may have been separated. I met him once and I think he has some outdoor training and possible wildernesscerts. Hoping he just got stuck behind a flashflood. Will let you know when I hear more. His wife reached out to the rangers this morning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  2. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

He was with a friend who has made it out. I still don't have details on where/what/how. SAR is still out with heli and crew on foot. Keep praying.

3. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

This was posted on Facebook "Rally the troops! If you are an experienced hiker please join in the search efforts tomorrow for Shiloh Dorsett. The Command center is at the Sub station Roosevelt
    South of the damn north of the marina. Set up is 6AM. Screen shot this and share with your friends."

4. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

http://bit.ly/3bYZ6Ou

Office of
    Sheriff of Gila County
    J. Adam Shepherd

February 23, 2020
    Press Release

Sheriff J. Adam Shepherd would like to release the following updated information regarding a search and rescue operation in Bull Canyon also known as Water Slide Canyon located in the Sierra Ancha Wilderness north east of Roosevelt Lake.

On February 22, 2020 at approximately 11:19 p.m., the Gila County Sheriff’s Office received a 9-1-1 call reporting a possible drowning in Cherry Creek. Two individuals were canyoneering in the area. It was reported that the area had received flash flooding. One individual was able to hike out and get help. Deputies attempted to conduct a search and rescue operation and were unable to do so because of the flooding. Arizona Department of Public Safety Ranger Helicopter was requested and unable to fly due to the weather.

Search and Rescue Operations resumed today, February 23, 2020 at 6:00 a.m. Deputies as well as Tonto Rim Search and Rescue Swift Water Team and the Arizona Department of Public Safety Ranger Helicopter responded to the area.

For anyone wanting to help with the search, please check in at 9:00 a.m. and check out at 4:30 p.m. in-person at the Incident Command stationed at the Sheriff’s Office Roosevelt Sub Station located at 28449 N. Highway 188, Roosevelt, Arizona. You will need to be prepared with coordinates of your search area, adequate equipment, food and water.

Sheriff J. Adam Shepherd would like to thank Tonto Rim Search and Rescue and the Arizona Department of Public Safety for their coordinated response and remind everyone of the dangers that can occur during flooding.
  5. Sandstone Addiction

Sandstone Addiction Headed South

A sick feeling came over me Saturday night as we were driving home from the Jazz game. My wife was looking at Facebook and noticed a post by a friend of hers saying that it was 10:30pm and her husband and a friend were late coming home from canyoneering, and was considering calling SAR.

Not sure if @Bret B Boyce visits CC anymore, but if you do, please know that we are praying for you, your family and Shilo and his family during this terrible event.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Ram, Kuenn and hank moon like this.
  6. Ram

Ram

7. NM Ben

NM Ben

Very devastating.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/g...7_v2lqGYsRyQjaaiPEGkIKxgyuorqdutODuZQQOwkdW3A

GILA COUNTY, Ariz. - FOX 10 has learned that the search for a missing man in Gila County has been called off, as crews found the body of a man on Monday. FOX 10 reporter Steve Nielsen confirmed news of the discovery with Gila County Sheriff's Office officials. The body has not been identified.
    Over the weekend, sheriff's officials say two men went hiking through a canyon in the county on Saturday, and one of them went missing after reportedly being washed away in a flash flood. The men went hiking around 2 p.m. northeast of Roosevelt Lake near Cherry Creek, described as an "extremely remote" area, and one of the hikers got washed away in a flash flood. Saturday brought in record rainfall into the valley, sparking flash flood warnings in surrounding areas.
  8. clangingsymbol01

clangingsymbol01

Ram likes this.
  9. Ram

Ram

This incident and tragedy has left me shaken. For years I have been tasked with choosing the canyon to do on marginal weather days. This is a canyon I would choose for such a day. It has a very small drainage, very much like Quandary and Knotted Rope. It has forest to absorb water. It has many reasonable escapes and is not really a slot and yet tragedy struck anyway. Did the noise of a normally flowing stream mask the sound of a flood coming? I think I am just bargaining, trying to convince myself that it is OK what I have done over the decades and that perhaps this a big arrogance on my part. I have some important things to consider. I met Bret just once, I think. He was on hand for the exploration of Fiddlestix, 9 FreezeFest's ago. I never met Shiloh. I hope Bret and Shiloh's families find some peace. Be careful out there, all.
    R
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    banananna and Kuenn like this.
  10. clangingsymbol

clangingsymbol

First: I go to church with Shiloh's family. Our church community has stepped in to help his family through this time. I met Shiloh about 2 or 3 weeks before this tragedy!!! I wish it had been much sooner!!!

Second. I am by no means knowledgeable about this stuff!!! Most of you will have way more experience and knowledge than I do!!! That is why I come here, to learn and grow from all of you!!!

Third: I do not have first hand knowledge of this event. I have heard some things from those close to Shiloh's wife and from a few of the SAR guys out on the rescue. I hope we get a clearer picture of the events of the day at some point, but Bret is really the only one who can do that and this is an event that will effect him is ways non of us can ever understand. (This is not a request or pressure on you Bret, if you read it, to share. Do that on your terms and your own time, if you ever decide you want to!) If you have first hand knowledge of this event that contradicts anything I say below...please disregard my opinions!!!

Here is my thought: Don't ever believe the newspapers/TV for the details. Read the news for the high level info. (Wish I could explain this in detail...but it would take too long.) News reporters (with all the respect in the world) are not experts in the things they report. They do a great job gather facts and reporting, but things get lost in translation. That is also true between experts in a field as well (so that is not a jab at reporters)! Have you ever played "telephone"

When out in the environment during a marginal weather event such as this, it is more than just a wall of water that is the risk! Rain dislodges debris from hillsides! Drive any road cut into the hill near the end of a storm. Or, just observe a cut in the landscape as you drive to your next adventure! There is evidence of this everywhere. So, when out in a canyon with slope/cliffs above you (directly), you must be just as observant to the risk of debris from above you as you are from the water flow in the canyon behind you (up canyon)!!! Read the report from Clint Poole of his experience in Parker Canyon (link below).

Again, I do not know exact details, but from what I heard and understand, it makes more sense to me that debris from above was the primary source of this tragedy. Water flow down in the canyon was a secondary problem and prevented a rescue of Shiloh. Again, I could be 100% wrong and there was a wall of water that hit Shiloh and he was not able to get out of the way, either do to other noise from the canyon (a waterfall at the spot they were at) or speed of the flow or something else!!!

Many people have asked me why people are "crazy enough to be out at a time like this" and I explain to them that some people have the training, certs, knowledge and experience to deal with this type of water. They are not necessarily foolish for going out to practice and stay current, which is very hard to do in a place like Arizona/Utah where there is not "normal" water flows that allow this type of experience! I have no doubt that Shiloh was being cautious!!! Consider NASCAR or F1 racing. Nobody says "why were they driving 200 MPH at such close proximity???" when there is a death. We understand they are trained and experienced and all kinds of safety gear is in placed and used!!! Yet, sometimes the unthinkable happens!!!

If/when you do head out to keep your currency ... "current" ... in these types of environments/marginal weather events, keep in mind there is much more risk than our "normal" canyon times, even during monsoon times in canyons. Consider the possibility for debris from above you, not just risks of water from up canyon!!!

Please...stay safe all.

Brian

PS. Again, I do not have first hand knowledge of the event. I was fortunate to talk to a SAR team Monday morning at the Cherry Creak crossing (where the flow was quite large). I was also able to talk to one of the SAR guys Monday afternoon who went down the canyon and found him. Full disclosure, I am trying to connect some quite wide dots and my 1.5 cents here is purely my opinion and probably worth significantly less than 2 cents!!!

http://canyoncollective.com/threads/parker-canyon-az-deadly-lucky.25594/#post-113112
    Ram likes this.