Send us a suggestion!

Middle Echo - Wetsuit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muad'Dib, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

Triple digits are forecast this week. What is the forum's advice on wetsuits? I am assuming I still need one. But do I go for a full or am I OK with a shorty?
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I haven't been through recently, but my guess would be to take a full, but the thinnest one you have, 3/2 if you've got one, but a 4/3 probably won't be bad either, any thicker though and you'll be hot.
  3. LonePeak

LonePeak

Save your stillsuit for Behunin. Bring a full wetsuit into Middle Echo: 4/3 or 3/2 if you're real hot blooded. It was needed on a 108°F day just over a week ago.
    Muad'Dib likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Middle Echo holds water well, and keeps it really cold. After the water, you do not get into the sun for about an hour, so yes, wetsuits recommended.

That said, a shortee might be enough, if you be tough.

T
  5. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

Stillsuit! Nice one, LonePeak. Maybe we can get ZAC to start renting those!

I'm thinking a full as I cannot rush through with my teenagers. . .

Thanks for the feedback!
  6. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

This is just me, but I consider a shorty as more of a nuisance, its extra weight to carry and isn't much better than quick drying clothes. If you can get through with a shorty you can get through without a wetsuit at all. To me the only reason to own a shorty (for canyoneering) is to wear it as a layer over another full suit in really cold conditions.
  7. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

I went through Middle Echo yesterday. Never seen it with so little deep water. Only swim (for me) was the keeper pothole. That said, the water is cold. Had my usual 4:3 full, happy to have it, but I get cold on these things. Some of it may depend on just how long you plan to spend (or find yourself spending) in the keeper. Like Tom said, it will be a while after the keeper before you'll see much sun. I'd say shortie if you really are wetsuit adverse and plan on tearing through it, full if you want to relax and enjoy it, or if you want to play in the pothole for awhile. And definitely not none.
    hlscowboy and Muad'Dib like this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

and, not exactly a long hike...
  9. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib

Did Middle Echo yesterday as planned. 4:3 wet suit was perfect for me--not too hot not too cold. The water was a couple feet from the lip at the pothole but a nice rope on a small log jam made the exit pretty straightforward.

When I dropped my suits off at ZAC they told me about a group that got stuck at the keeper a couple weeks ago and had to stay the night. It wasn't clear whether the rope was in place for them or not. Some ZAC employees doing the canyon the next day rescued them.