Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Middle Echo Pothole

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by 2065toyota, Nov 16, 2017.

1. 2065toyota

2065toyota

The pothole escape in Middle Echo should not be taken lightly right now. It is a legitimate obstacle with the amount of sand that has been washed out and the water level it is at now. I'm 6'5" and could not touch the bottom which makes throwing anything more difficult and there is a smooth 4' wall above the water line

We helped a party of 2 out of there last weekend that were not prepared to deal with it. It could have ended badly for them.

With the right items, it isn't a big deal, just a pothole, but without them
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Rapterman, gajslk and Dave Melton like this.
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

3. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

Wow...how things have changed in middle echo!
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

So, exactly how did your group get out?

Tom
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Threw a rope with approx 100' of rope in it with a tail tied to the bag hanging out with a tibloc and a few slings attached to the tibloc and was able to stick the bag in a construction with just enough friction to get me up to the lip. Then a slow beaches whale movement to try and keep the bag from releasing because of the unfavorable geometry
    Rapterman likes this.
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

Where did you throw from? I see the picture is taken from the rap point into the pool, and one can see that throwing for the exit is not straightforward.

That beached whale move in particular is one I have found particularly difficult. The geometry seems just so unfriendly.

Tom
  7. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I threw from in the water with kind of a sideways push off the wall while in the water. The geometry sucks for the beach as your wedged into the crack. I'm sure there is a better way, but it worked after about 15 min of trying.
    Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

https://www.supaiadventuregear.com/products/canyon-flatwater-boat

No, seriously... Pool Toys, they work.

Actual Pool Toys.
  9. Rapterman

Rapterman

Our group of 5 had some some fun with this last year.
    A very tenuous partner assist using a 5-10ish hold by the lip gave enough boost for a medium to small climber to belly flop into the slot-
    but JUST to ones waist.
    Then much wiggling, thrashing, kicking, squirming to get far enough 'upstream' to stand up.
    More like kippered herring than beached whale...
    :D
    2065toyota, Tom Collins and ratagonia like this.
  10. 2065toyota

2065toyota

It looks like some is standing by the opening in that pic. I could not touch the ground there last weekend. Yes, very much not the beach whale. Especially at 6'5" and 200lbs.
    Rapterman and Tom Collins like this.
  11. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

There is one shallow foothold under the water there somewhere, is that what you're talking about? It was enough earlier this year to *almost* get me out with as much help from a floating partner as they could provide. In the end I just barely couldn't pull it off...but I had less motivation to continue trying because there was at the time already a log someone had wedged in there with a line on it and I was just trying for fun.
    Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  12. Rapterman

Rapterman

Conditions we had sound like Toyota's: cannot touch bottom and water is too low to reach up for the lip without assist.
    Desi and I arrived first and inflated a small raft to try the 'pool toy' exit. It did not go well for the two of us. I could not find ANYTHING to push off of or hold onto, to hold Desi and the raft against the wall, and the moment Desi reached for the slot we floated away.
    Stabilizing the raft needed a little push. Two or three swimmers could kick and paddle the raft with enough pressure but
    not wimpy man :(.
    ...and it's dang cold in that pool...:cold:
    Round two
    Carl arrives (6' tall, 185lbs, mostly muscle). Carl finds the hold below the lip (directly under the right hand of the lower person in Toyota's photo?)
    Puts his right? foot on Deathtointernet's sloper under the water and can just BARELY hold his position without floating away.
    I matched my right hand on top of Carl's, stood on his right knee and then could reach the lip. SAVED!
    Errr, NOT.
    Those of you climber types that practice mantels know they aint easy.
    And mantling into a narrow groove doubly so. But old flabby man reaches deep, pulls the mantle, and flops into the slot. SAVED!
    Ehhh, NO.
    I am totally wedged, sideways, laying on one arm, butt and legs still hanging in space. Carl is no help. I start thrashing with gusto and then remember
    I am wearing a BRAND NEW goretex dry suit...Sigh. There are two more fresh, fit, and eager team mates waiting.
    I flop back in the ice water
    The mates repeat the partner assist, and voila.
    Having examined the groove up close (while wedged) I really like Toyota's technique of tossing a pot shot first.
    But where did you find the sand?
    :)
  13. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Not a Pot Shot, but a rope bag with the rope in it still with a tail tied off to one of the handles. I've used that quite a few times with success
    Rapterman likes this.
  14. Rapterman

Rapterman