Send us a suggestion!

Middle Echo Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by deathtointernet, Aug 13, 2019.

1. deathtointernet

deathtointernet

Went through Middle Echo on 8/9. With the Observation Point Trail closed the only access is from the East Rim, with the upside being that the trail was basically deserted and we got to have the whole area to ourselves. The canyon could use a good monsoon storm to flush it out; several potholes are rather gross, with the keeper being the worst of the lot, full of log debris and two dead owls.
    P1780343.JPG

The keeper itself gets deeper right at the lip, but it was not quite a swim. There is currently nothing in place to assist with the climb out, and one person would likely find it very challenging to escape without gear. Two people should have no trouble. I boosted my partner out of the pothole with the help of the underwater toehold, and she rigged a rope for me to climb out on. Despite the gross potholes the canyon was still its usual beautiful self, and not having anyone around was definitely a bonus.