Send us a suggestion!

Medieval Chamber

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wisconnyjohnny, Mar 11, 2017.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny Lagargar pockets

We arrived in Moab Monday night after a quick stop at Goblin Valley for a practice free hang rap. Not sure what drew me to Medival Chamber. Short route, bigger raps, hitchhiking back to car.
    We headed out tuesday morning and arrived at trailhead around 10 am to a stiff cold wind. Started the hike. Route finding was simple. Very cairned trail. So we are excited thinking this is a very straight forward route. we brought a 200 ft rope and a 120ft to ensure we had enough for anything that came up. we also had webbing and a few quick links.
    We arrive at first rap station and my jaw dropped at the excoriate. I wasn't prepared for that.
    3 bolts with chains on a wall. The catch was the approach on a slanted ledge about 3 feet wide over a 40 foot drop. . It had me rattled.
    I ate a sandwich and drank some gatorade and decided to anchor off a tree about 60 ft from the ledge. Then game was on to do the rope work and block at that precarious ledge. It worked.
    So now what? still gotta get on rope! I tied a 15ft piece of webbing to the top of the rope and threw the end to girlfriend. This way we would be able to pull the rope over and strand our device from a safer area.
    This worked and I went down first after handing her the webbing tail to retrieve the rope after i was off. The chamber is a beautiful two stage rap.
    Short walk to Morning glory arch afterwards. We lowered rope down as a lot of beta instructed as people are unaware what "ROPE" means yelled from above. The 200ft was plenty with extended anchor and we decided to keep it dumb and simple and safe with just double stranding. I taped my iphone to my helmet and got on rope.
    Amazing Rappel, next to the 5th largest natural rock span in world. Girlfriend was next. About 5 ft into her free hang she started to go parallel more than I was comfortable with but she righted herself quickly. With about 10 ft left she did go parallel and couldn't right herself in front of the dozen or so onlookers but gently lowered herself to the ground on her back. We realized she should have hung her bag.
    We marveled at the arch as I drank a PBR and then hiked out of Grandstaff canyon. we hitched a ride into Moab and then another ride back to our car at SandFlats.
    Although not a slot or lots of actual canyoneering this is a great route.!!! loved it.!

IMG_4814.JPG IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4819.JPG

Attached Files:

• IMG_4805.JPG
      Filename:
      IMG_4805.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    Sandstone Addiction, darhawk and Ram like this.
  2. Ram

Ram

Nice set of TR's. Welcome to the group
    A Playful Pet Peeve.....Does "Girlfriend" have name? At least you avoided the possessive "MY Girlfriend" but doesn't come quite alive, does she, defined as such. And Go Bucky!! if you follow such things
  3. wisconnyjohnny

HAHA Thanks Ram. Girlfriends name is Jean. Yes on Wisconsin Go Bucky. RIGHT ANSWER!!!!
  4. gajslk

gajslk

"... and then hiked out of Grandstaff canyon"

When did it get a new name? Bill must be rolling in his grave.

Gordon
  5. wisconnyjohnny

new name i think within last 18 months. i know the old name.
  6. gajslk

gajslk

New old name, actually. The USGS replaced certain unacceptable names with euphemisms back in the 60s. Wherever you see Sheep Xxx, for example, the original name was often Shit Xxx. Amusing. That happened to the old old name of Granstaff.

Gordon
  7. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

Isn't there a campsite called that in that area on 128?
  8. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

? Instead of the tree why didn't you use the new bolts that are on the right wall ldc?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  9. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

For those of you that don't want to shuttle. If you have a decent climber right after the arch rappel you can climb out 100 yds down canyon, look for the fin on right that looks climbable. I'm not much of a climber and I do it. Then drop line for the rest. There is a bolt there if you want to go drop a handline before dropping in. Then just walk back up to jeep road.

You can also climb back out before you drop the arch if you want to. When you come out of chamber turn right and go up the fin. Very exposed at top. I suggest setting a handline off the bush/tree before hand. We do the first drop in the dark alot and then climb out.

10. wisconnyjohnny

there have been numerous warnings about the climbers exit. The Canyon hike is pretty anyways.

I guess i didn't see the two new bolts! wasn't looking for them. The two places i sought beta both had tree for anchor.
  11. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Mark, I assume you a referring to the last rap? We recently went through this canyon and there was a VERY large commercial group (~27 ppl) working their way through the final rap. We slung a tree and rapped, after coordinating with the group that they would oblige our request to release our makeshift anchor/rope after the last individual completed the rap. Shame on me, I didn't stop to check where the large group were rappelling from. I assumed there were some bolts on the wall (LDC), but I can't confirm. I know a group that is headed there soon, like what was mentioned above most beta speaks of anchoring from a tree with extended webbing. Question for you, as you seem to be familiar with the new bolted location, are there any pull issues to be concerned with? Or a these bolts positioned such that the pull is easily accomplished? Thanks in advance for your help!
    wisconnyjohnny likes this.
  12. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

The new bolts are at the first drop. At the arch most just use the large webbing coming off the tree.

13. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

I assume one of the guide companies put them in. They are in a better place for starting the rappel and pulling your rope. They also make missing the water in the first pool easier. As I recall a 100 ft rope just does reach from them. It's a bit longer then from the old bolts.

14. ScottM

ScottM Looking for a canyon, you got one?

Yeah, the first drop, I recall 2 bolt stations (left and right). Given that is where we caught the guided group, we were very happy to see 2 stations vs. 1. However, both were occupied (by that group) and we still had to wait. Thanks for the reply.
  15. wisconnyjohnny

ok i was confused by "new bolts" i did see them on the down canyon right side at first drop. Those ones right? I liked the angle of those however they are like 6ft up a slick wall I didn't quite feel like i could hold the wall and do the figure 8 block work i needed to do.
    I was surprised by both sets of anchors really. If i do it again i will use the set of anchors DCR as the rope grooves are quite nasty halfway down the chamber.
  16. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

Do you have a safety leash on your harness? Just clip into those bolts and you should be able to stand there and rig whatever you feel comfortable with. You think it's sketchy in the daylight try it in the dark.

17. wisconnyjohnny

haha in my video i say "i'm outta my league" i tied my 120 rope to a tree 60 feet back from ledge to block the anchors on the left. i do have a safety cord. I would never do that at night jesus.!!! haha!!!!
    I will only do that canyon again if I have a friend who wants to and has not done it before. I have so much in Escalante to do yet.