Send us a suggestion!

MaxxiPads available.

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by sasteve1949, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sasteve1949

sasteve1949 Guest

Hi All, It's awesome for me to see the input and feedback on the MaxxiPad(aka Sandtrap). Makes me fell kinda fuzzy all over. Thanks again for the great Powell trips Ram, looking forward to more of the same. We have almost completed the upgrades to the "Canyon Queen" and she will be out at the lake next week. Full-size fridge, built-in stove, extra cupboards, extra floatation at the back of the center tube and underdeck shielding between the hulls. Maria, Bill, Rick and I just did Heaps here in Zion and it was so easy it totally suprised us. Full potholes to slide easily out of, of course some long swims, but I highly recommend doing it now. It took us 5 hours through the whole canyon to before the last awesome rap.Started the day before from Lava Point at 1pm, hiked into Phantom Valley and camped some 6 and half hours later just before the gear-up point in the wash. Started at 7:30 the next day. Only problem was we took a 300', a 200' and a 120'. All fine except we lost the 120' in the bottom of a deep pothole. So at the end we all 4 ended up down on the Birds Nest ledge, then I rapped down first, firemanned Maria, hotfooted it back to ZAC, picked up a 200' and hiked back up to the Emerald Pools exit. So we were able to pull the 300'. Bill stayed up on the ledge until I got back. Lesson learned......

I have sold 18 of the MaxxiPads so far and have more left for shipment at $79 plus S+H.This is the 'Pad mark 2 model with improvements. Anyone interested can contact me at 435-669-3094. Get out and enjoy the canyons and don't forget your MaxxiPad. Steve.
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Hey Steve

Shielding between the hulls? You mean that we won't get fully drenched anymore in the squalls? I'll tell ya, it was something to hear about the water jumping over the folks in front and drenching the people in the back!! You got the captain's licence, did you not? I'd follow you to sea!

Thanks for the Heaps report!! Great canyon, eh? Is that Nomad Bill who waited up top? How long? At least he had a nice view, if not lounge seating. Congrats on your Maxxi sales.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "sasteve1949" <sasteve1949@...> wrote:
    > Hi All, > It's awesome for me to see the input and feedback on the MaxxiPad(aka Sandtrap). Makes me fell kinda fuzzy all over. Thanks again for the great Powell trips Ram, looking forward to more of the same. We have almost completed the upgrades to the "Canyon Queen" and she will be out at the lake next week. Full-size fridge, built-in stove, extra cupboards, extra floatation at the back of the center tube and underdeck shielding between the hulls. > Maria, Bill, Rick and I just did Heaps here in Zion and it was so easy it totally suprised us. Full potholes to slide easily out of, of course some long swims, but I highly recommend doing it now. It took us 5 hours through the whole canyon to before the last awesome rap.Started the day before from Lava Point at 1pm, hiked into Phantom Valley and camped some 6 and half hours later just before the gear-up point in the wash. Started at 7:30 the next day. Only problem was we took a 300', a 200' and a 120'. All fine except we lost the 120' in the bottom of a deep pothole. So at the end we all 4 ended up down on the Birds Nest ledge, then I rapped down first, firemanned Maria, hotfooted it back to ZAC, picked up a 200' and hiked back up to the Emerald Pools exit. So we were able to pull the 300'. Bill stayed up on the ledge until I got back. Lesson learned......
    I have sold 18 of the MaxxiPads so far and have more left for shipment at $79 plus S&#43;H.This is the 'Pad mark 2 model with improvements. Anyone interested can contact me at 435-669-3094. > Get out and enjoy the canyons and don't forget your MaxxiPad. > Steve. >
  3. Bill

Bill Guest

Thanks for the Heaps report!! Great canyon, eh? Is that Nomad Bill who waited up top? How long? At least he had a nice view, if not lounge seating.

***You got it Ram, it was me ;) I was FAR TOO CHEAP to let my 300' dangle there for all the world to see! I had an awesome view and got to take pictures of all the folks taking pictures of me! I was even the first kid on my block to take a nap on the bird's perch! I didn't think that it could have gotten any easier from last time I did it... I was wrong ;)

Bill
  4. sasteve1949

sasteve1949 Guest

Yeah, me and Bill figured out the final descent with one rope short, then when I got down to the Birds Perch he came up with the brilliant idea that he would wait up there while I hotfooted it back to ZAC for a replacement pull rope. Ok, somebody had to do it and I'm always up for the extra hike....but hey, beats the alternative of leaving the 300' dangling. Anytime Bill. Yeah Ram, we didn't want you to get soaked on the next trip. Also now you can have ICE CUBES! Yep, have the USCG Captains license, this winter I will be upgrading to the 50 ton so I can take more passengers. Had to order an extra batch of 'Pads to keep up with the orders. Tim is manufacturing the next 20 as we speak. Have also come up with an idea for much easier pulls.....will keep you posted.As soon as I get the time from work I will be editing the vids I have made of the PROPER use of the MaxxiPad........stay tuned.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Hey Steve
    Shielding between the hulls? You mean that we won't get fully drenched anymore in the squalls? I'll tell ya, it was something to hear about the water jumping over the folks in front and drenching the people in the back!! You got the captain's licence, did you not? I'd follow you to sea!
    Thanks for the Heaps report!! Great canyon, eh? Is that Nomad Bill who waited up top? How long? At least he had a nice view, if not lounge seating. Congrats on your Maxxi sales.

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "sasteve1949" <sasteve1949@> wrote:

Hi All,
    It's awesome for me to see the input and feedback on the MaxxiPad(aka Sandtrap). Makes me fell kinda fuzzy all over. Thanks again for the great Powell trips Ram, looking forward to more of the same. We have almost completed the upgrades to the "Canyon Queen" and she will be out at the lake next week. Full-size fridge, built-in stove, extra cupboards, extra floatation at the back of the center tube and underdeck shielding between the hulls.
    Maria, Bill, Rick and I just did Heaps here in Zion and it was so easy it totally suprised us. Full potholes to slide easily out of, of course some long swims, but I highly recommend doing it now. It took us 5 hours through the whole canyon to before the last awesome rap.Started the day before from Lava Point at 1pm, hiked into Phantom Valley and camped some 6 and half hours later just before the gear-up point in the wash. Started at 7:30 the next day. Only problem was we took a 300', a 200' and a 120'. All fine except we lost the 120' in the bottom of a deep pothole. So at the end we all 4 ended up down on the Birds Nest ledge, then I rapped down first, firemanned Maria, hotfooted it back to ZAC, picked up a 200' and hiked back up to the Emerald Pools exit. So we were able to pull the 300'. Bill stayed up on the ledge until I got back. Lesson learned......

I have sold 18 of the MaxxiPads so far and have more left for shipment at $79 plus S&#43;H.This is the 'Pad mark 2 model with improvements. Anyone interested can contact me at 435-669-3094.
    Get out and enjoy the canyons and don't forget your MaxxiPad.
    Steve.
    >
  5. RAM

RAM Guest

Yeah i suspect that the park service would frown on ropes left in popular view spots, which I know was never considered. I think rope has been left before due to it sticking? Anyone remember?

Congrats on the license and eye eye captain if you insist on the ice cubes, but you will have to take me in warmer months than last time! ;-) And what is it about swimming all day, but my feeling uncomfortable with a soaking on the boat? Oh yeah, it was being stationary in that wind!! I remember. ;-) Waaa, waaaa, call the waambulance. Or is that the rambulance? ;-)

Oh, oh and as too the maxxi/sandtrap competition between designs and methods of usage, I hope it is a sporting, but friendly one. It is in such environments that additional innovation occurs. Something that will occur, usually to everyone's benefit. With your original vision and invention, I hope to see large steps taken with low impact canyoning/canyoneering. I salute you! I am not sure of this, but I may be the only person who has used both devises, in any volume? Really only minor differences. And am I the one who has seen both methods used in the field the most? If so, let me speak to the fact that BOTH devises and multiple rigging methods have proved VERY successful and more important, useful in different geometries. All part of the same tool kit. I have used the tostada and the taco riggings back to back to back in a canyon several times. Each has their place. It will likely never be an "either/or" situation. I look very forward to the videos and people bringing more and more information and applications to the fore, on this anchoring breakthrough. Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "sasteve1949" <sasteve1949@...> wrote:
    Yeah, me and Bill figured out the final descent with one rope short, then when I got down to the Birds Perch he came up with the brilliant idea that he would wait up there while I hotfooted it back to ZAC for a replacement pull rope. Ok, somebody had to do it and I'm always up for the extra hike....but hey, beats the alternative of leaving the 300' dangling. Anytime Bill. > Yeah Ram, we didn't want you to get soaked on the next trip. Also now you can have ICE CUBES! Yep, have the USCG Captains license, this winter I will be upgrading to the 50 ton so I can take more passengers. > Had to order an extra batch of 'Pads to keep up with the orders. Tim is manufacturing the next 20 as we speak. Have also come up with an idea for much easier pulls.....will keep you posted.As soon as I get the time from work I will be editing the vids I have made of the PROPER use of the MaxxiPad........stay tuned.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@> wrote:

Hey Steve

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "sasteve1949" <sasteve1949@> wrote:

> Hi All,
    > It's awesome for me to see the input and feedback on the MaxxiPad(aka Sandtrap). Makes me fell kinda fuzzy all over. Thanks again for the great Powell trips Ram, looking forward to more of the same. We have almost completed the upgrades to the "Canyon Queen" and she will be out at the lake next week. Full-size fridge, built-in stove, extra cupboards, extra floatation at the back of the center tube and underdeck shielding between the hulls.
    > Maria, Bill, Rick and I just did Heaps here in Zion and it was so easy it totally suprised us. Full potholes to slide easily out of, of course some long swims, but I highly recommend doing it now. It took us 5 hours through the whole canyon to before the last awesome rap.Started the day before from Lava Point at 1pm, hiked into Phantom Valley and camped some 6 and half hours later just before the gear-up point in the wash. Started at 7:30 the next day. Only problem was we took a 300', a 200' and a 120'. All fine except we lost the 120' in the bottom of a deep pothole. So at the end we all 4 ended up down on the Birds Nest ledge, then I rapped down first, firemanned Maria, hotfooted it back to ZAC, picked up a 200' and hiked back up to the Emerald Pools exit. So we were able to pull the 300'. Bill stayed up on the ledge until I got back. Lesson learned......

I have sold 18 of the MaxxiPads so far and have more left for shipment at $79 plus S&#43;H.This is the 'Pad mark 2 model with improvements. Anyone interested can contact me at 435-669-3094.
    > Get out and enjoy the canyons and don't forget your MaxxiPad.
    > Steve.
  6. cyber_rager

cyber_rager Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Yeah i suspect that the park service would frown on ropes left in popular view spots, which I know was never considered. I think rope has been left before due to it sticking? Anyone remember? >

yes, ropes have been left there. The first time I did Heaps, our rope stuck at that stupid drop and we were unable to retrieve it. Someone retrieved it the next weekend and instead of trying to find the owner (which we had advertised that it was there along with telling the park rangers at the backcountry desk), they donated it to some local climber who hopefully knew the difference between a static rope and dynamic rope and didn't use it for lead climbing.

Oh well, that was a fitting end to an epic adventure....

Scott