Send us a suggestion!

marble canyon weather question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sandstoned, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Hey All,
    Id like to do an easy overnight in marble canyon this friday, going in late afternoon (will be hot), spend night at river, hike out in cool of morning. My question is related to the weather forecast predicting up to 10 percent chance of a stray shower or t storm between the hours of 5 and midnight. Usually I stay the hell out of canyons with any chance of precip, but I am thinking this 10 percent chance, between these limited hours (but for two of those hours Id be in a side canyon), probably not a huge concern?? I mean, during the monsoon patterns forget about it, but I am thinking this is not a monsoon type weather pattern and that a stray shower would likely be just that, not a deluge. Any thoughts?
    Sandy
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Which canyons in Marble? A lot of them aren't the really narrow ones that have extreme flash flood danger, but you still wouldn't want to get caught in a flood.

NOAA says clear and hot with no chance of rain at all after tonight, so I don't know where you are getting your 10% from? I would seriously worry about the heat though.

http://f1.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=36.8646&lon=-111.5972#.WagcyrKGPIU
  3. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

Scott ...was thinking badger...figured friday if leaving around 4 pm it would be hot but from that point it would begin slowly to cool for the night. We would d be well hydrated pre hike, and figure in badger we would be kinda sorta shaded. Lot of moon, not worried about night fall, but plan to be at the river in just a few hours tops. No tent, no bag, light bivy bag...exiting in the cool of sunup. Id never plan a real multi day during this time, but on a lark have the time now and figure later start in, early start out...ought to be good. the NOAA hour by hour app showed 10 percent between five pm and midnight I believe, but dont see it on your link. Good strategy to beat the heat, no?
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

The best way to beat the heat is to not go to Marble Canyon in summer. I found it to be absolutely roasting in April. That said, if you like hot weather it can be done, but I'd get wet before climbing out (the river is cold).

I assume you have a backcountry permit for overnight? There are river patrols in the summer.
  5. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

permit, sure do
    thanks for your reply
  6. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

what were your temps in april?
  7. Sandstoned

Sandstoned

oh, and Scott or whomever else...does badger offer opportunities to reach higher ground in most areas other than the technical section? Or pretty well slotted up from start to river?
  8. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Looking at the weather records, it was 93F at Phantom Ranch when we climbed out Eminence Break, the day I remember as being really hot:

[​IMG]

That's pretty hot for me, especially given the exits out of Marble. For me, all other trips to Marble have been from November through February.