Send us a suggestion!

Map Software

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by restrac2000, Dec 13, 2003.

1. restrac2000

restrac2000 Guest

Looking for comments on different types of mapping software. I need to paste different sections of about 70-100 USGS Quads together from 2 different states. I'm looking for software that will produce both an overview map and detailed maps I can print out for my trip. Thanks for the help.

Phillip "Youth" Rhoades
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

I've found Topo! to be pretty good. Simple, somewhat primitive, but effective. I've had good luck with Rev 2 software, though others use the rev 3 and find it to work better than I did.

I believe it is seamless if you have both Utah and Arzinona loaded, and you can run it off your harddrive so you don't have to keep switching discs back and forth.

Tom

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@H...> wrote: > Looking for comments on different types of mapping software. I need > to paste different sections of about 70-100 USGS Quads together from > 2 different states. I'm looking for software that will produce both > an overview map and detailed maps I can print out for my trip. > Thanks for the help.
    Phillip "Youth" Rhoades
  3. r_owings1

r_owings1 Guest

I concur, Topo is the way to go. Especially if you don't need to do anything fancy and don't mind laying out the bucks. I also like OziExplorer, which can handle GIS info and DRG files. I imagine it would cripple your computer though if you actually try to stitch that many quads together. Stick with Topo.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "Tom Jones" <tom@j...> wrote: > I've found Topo! to be pretty good. Simple, somewhat primitive, but > effective. I've had good luck with Rev 2 software, though others use > the rev 3 and find it to work better than I did.
    I believe it is seamless if you have both Utah and Arzinona loaded, > and you can run it off your harddrive so you don't have to keep > switching discs back and forth.
    Tom
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "restrac2000" <Happyfeet00@H...
    wrote:
    Looking for comments on different types of mapping software. I > need
    to paste different sections of about 70-100 USGS Quads together > from
    2 different states. I'm looking for software that will produce > both
    an overview map and detailed maps I can print out for my trip.
    Thanks for the help.

Phillip "Youth" Rhoades