Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Mantrap natural bridge

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by wisconnyjohnny, Nov 18, 2018.

1. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

There’s a cool natural bridge off highway 12 that I just noticed in the last few weeks. I found out it’s name was mantrap. I had to see it up close and, and of course rap thru it. So Jean and I made a technical hike out of it. After looking at google maps a lot I saw an easy approach to the wash above it. And ohhhhh how easy it was, I surprised myself.
    We got to the mantrap and slung a tree quite far back from lip of pothole that is part of the bridge. We really didn’t have enough rope so had to use what webbing we had left to extend pull.
    We were working with about 1 ft. Rope was down 6 inches and pull was down 6 inches.
    The rap was nice the pull was iffy. Got it 3rd time.
    Shortly down the wash the 2nd rap slung it off a little arch.
    And then we were walking back to car.
    Going back to clean sometime when I bring a bigger rope.
    So final thoughts: it doesn’t look that cool above it or below it. Hard to get pictures but inside of it is the money shot. Fun wash I would go on again.

2. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

I would be interested to hear if your pull grooved the underside of of this arch, and the sandstone bench leading to the tree. Let us know what you find when you do the cleanup, and what anchor solutions you come up with to prevent grooves on the arch.
    Ram and wisconnyjohnny like this.
  3. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

definitely not on underside of it. the angle was clean and upside anchor side doubtful with one pull but still will update. this isn't a route that's gonna ever be used much either. the best anchor would be a dead man inside mantrap. however then you are moving a lot of material out of natural state. and it would be blown out with heavy rain. so sand trap or fiddle is gonna be best.
  4. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

Cleaned top. No grooves above. Didn’t get in pothole to check if underside.
    Anchor solution is a tree 100 ft back or make a deadman/or use sand trap type retrievable
    Before we hiked in we stopped on highway with our binoculars to see if webbing was still there. Haha
    Ram and Tirrus like this.
  5. Tirrus

Tirrus Rope rider.

Thanks for the update, and the topside cleanup! Glad to hear grooving isn’t an issue there.
    Ram likes this.