Send us a suggestion!

Man stuck in Quicksand in Zion Subway Feb 2019

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by ratagonia, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ratagonia

ratagonia

https://kutv.com/news/local/man-stu...tu3sa4DtZQl5w_NfTvfnL7GxA83aAyB8vK6rJklynef58

Sunday, February 17th 2019

ZION NATIONAL PARK (KUTV) -- Zion National Park search and rescue crews spent the night in a snow storm after rescuing a man who got stuck in quicksand.

On Saturday, Zion dispatchers received a report of a 34-year-old man from Arizona who got his leg stuck in quicksand.

"He was located approximately 3 hours up the Left Fork of the North Creek, also known as The Subway route from bottom-up," Aly Baltrus with Zion National Park said in a news release. "His leg was buried up to his knee and he was unable to free himself. He had hiked the Left Fork Trail with a companion, also from Arizona, when he became stuck. He and his companion tried to free his leg and were unsuccessful. His companion left him with warm gear and clothing and hiked to call for help. It was approximately 3 hours until she got cell phone service and was able to call 911."

A search and rescue team was assembled to locate the man and his female companion. Crews first found the woman and provided her with aid, because she was showing signs of hypothermia. Several hours later, crews found the man, who was still stuck in the quicksand, and was also showing signs of hypothermia.

Crews tried for two hours to free the man from the quicksand, and were able to do so late Saturday night. Because it was so late, search and rescue crews spent the night with the patient in frigid conditions where four inches of snow fell.

"The next morning, the Utah DPS helicopter responded from Salt Lake City," Baltrus said in a news release. "The ongoing winter storms in the area decreased visibility for aircraft all morning. Only after a small break in the weather occurred in the afternoon, the DPS helicopter was able safely extricated the patient with a hoist rescue operation. The patient was transported to an awaiting ambulance and transported to the hospital."

Both the man who was stuck in the quicksand, and his companion who hiked and called for help are expected to be okay.
  2. Bogie

Bogie

He wasn't stuck in JUST quicksand.
  3. hike2kolob

hike2kolob

I read this article this morning. How does one get stuck in quicksand (only one leg up to the knee) for so long? I knew there was more to the story. Can you elaborate.

I have been "stuck" in quicksand in Coyote Gulch and Buckskin Gulch, but the greatest risk I saw was losing a shoe. Is there more deadly quicksand than that?
    Tom Collins likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Headline:
    Man stuck in quicksand at Zion National Park rescued after 2 days in snowstorm

Hmmmm. Got stuck at 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon. Got flown out the next morning. Headline writer interprets that as "after 2 days in snowstorm". Well, it was (probably) a Saturday/Sunday, so it could have been headlined as

Man stuck in quicksand at ZNP rescued after 2 weeks in snowstorm!

if you consider Sunday to be the first day of the week.

T
    Bosco and Tom Collins like this.
  5. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Helo view of Winter Subway

wsbpress likes this.
  6. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Whoa...hang onto to your space blanket!

Heluva view.

Still....stuck in quicksand? I'm kinda dubious...
  7. Dan Ransom

Dan Ransom Staff Member

Well that's a bizarre story... What in the world happened? Wonder if we'll hear the whole story.
  8. Kuenn

Kuenn

Cool story. More details from the hiker/victim - Ryan Osmun

And hang on to that "girl-friend"...she's a keeper!
    Brian in SLC likes this.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

It might be rare, but it can happen. When I was a scout one of the scouts at the Jamboree got stuck in the quicksand to his chest near Horseshoe Springs in Skull Valley. It took a lot of work to pull him out.

Michael Kelsey got stuck in the quicksand at the Little Colorado River and ended up losing his camera. It was enough that he called the upper gorge a death trap in his early books.

The only death I know of in the canyon country for quicksand was in the Paria River Gorge. Such conditions must be very rare though because I haven't heard of anyone getting stuck since then. It is the only incident I have heard of that wasn't near the ocean as well.

Parunuweap Canyon used to have a bad reputation for quicksand. Powell talks about it in his writings and in more recent years hikers (1980's) have got caught in there.
  10. Brian in SLC

From KSL news:

"...one of the man's legs became trapped in quicksand in the middle of a creek. His leg was buried to his knee and he was unable to pull himself out."

And, it took rescuers two hours to unstick him? Crazy.

One leg, to the knee.

KUTV just interviewed the feller but the link must be too fresh to find on their website...
  11. 3d3vart

3d3vart

Agreed. It might be rare, but it still happens. There was the fellow that was at the end of a month long NOLS trip a few years back and got stuck in quicksand in the Dirty Devil for a day or so until he was rescued via helicopter and a lot of manpower. These stories come around every so often, I have no reason to believe they're not true.
  12. 3d3vart

3d3vart

13. Brian in SLC

14. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

Maybe footwear-related?

elton_john_pinball_wizard.
    Jenny, darhawk and Brian in SLC like this.
  15. Brian in SLC

So...as the story evolves...she gets stuck, he saves her but in the process gets stuck...

I dunno. For being stuck in cold water for hours in a snowstorm...he (and his leg) looked pretty good.

Wild story.
  16. Brian in SLC

Plays by intuition?

Never seen him fall...
    hank moon likes this.
  17. ratagonia

ratagonia

here is the article that lays it out well:

Hiker recounts lifesaving rescue at Zion National Park after he got stuck in quicksand for 10 hours
    POSTED 10:00 PM, FEBRUARY 18, 2019, BY KIERSTEN NUÑEZ, UPDATED AT 08:52AM, FEBRUARY 19, 2019

SPRINGDALE, Utah -- A hiker was stuck in quicksand for almost 10 hours at Zion National Park over the weekend in a remote area.

“We got about four and a half miles in,” said Ryan Osmun. He and his girlfriend Jessika were almost to the Subway in Zion when their hike took a turn for the worse. Jessika’s leg sunk in the mud, she tripped and fell forward into the water.

“As I was helping her I didn't realize my right leg was sinking all the way into the sand, so it got about to my waist on my right leg and my left leg started sinking also,” Ryan said.

Jessika got out but Ryan was trapped.

“It felt like you were just sinking into, like, wet concrete. It felt like it had dried instantly; I couldn't move my leg at all,” Ryan said.

Jessika desperately tried to dig out his leg.

“But every second she would scrape it would just fill back up instantly,” Ryan said.

No matter what they tried, Ryan's leg wouldn't budge.

“That's when I started to panic a little bit and I got scared,” Ryan said.

Still soaking wet, Jessika started the four-hour hike back to get cell service.

“About 30 minutes after she left it started snowing really hard, so I was stuck in the water while it was pouring snow,” Ryan said.

Hours passed and the sun started to set.

“My hips were just so tired from standing like that, that they weren't holding me up. I couldn't, I couldn't really control to hold myself up,” Ryan said.

Exhausted, Ryan fell asleep and collapsed into the near-freezing water eight hours after Jessika left.

“I had seen a flash of light, and at that point, I thought I was dreaming. I didn't think that it was real,” Ryan said.

Then he saw the ranger who tried using a rope and pully to get him out.

“He started to pull on that, but it just felt like it was ripping my leg off. My whole hips felt like they were ripping out,” Ryan said.

Ryan, now convinced he would lose his leg, had to wait an hour for three other rangers to show up. Together they managed to get him free.

“I just felt relief I just felt like I was going to be OK,” Ryan said.

The snowstorm forced Ryan and the rangers to stay the night, but when they woke up in the morning...

“It was pouring snow worse than it had been the whole time,” Ryan said.

Crews were worried they'd have to stay another night, but then a small break in the storm allowed a DPS helicopter to hoist Ryan out.

Feel very lucky to be alive and to have my leg,” Ryan said.

Ryan had hypothermia and some minor injuries and was taken to the hospital. That's where he reunited with Jessika and found out when crews got to her she also had hypothermia and had passed out. Ryan said he wouldn't be alive had it not been for Jessika and the rangers.

I spoke with rangers and they say the couple was prepared, experienced, and did what they needed to do, and this was just a freak accident.
    darhawk likes this.
  18. Bosco

Bosco

010 Hours - Where's that Leatherman?
    Yellow Dart likes this.
  19. zul

zul

I wonder, did they have a Subway hiking permit? If not, were they issued a fine? Were they charged for the rescue?

Of course, I am asking the most terrible questions on purpose (to which I have my own answers) ... what should be the end result here for our friends Ryan and Jessika? Each answer can be opinion based or reality based ... What do YOU think?
  20. Brian in SLC

You're asking us to opine based on...conjecture? Do I think they should be charged for the rescue? No. No matter a permit or not. Glad they got rescued and glad they're alive.

You?