Send us a suggestion!

International Mallorca Day 4-6

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tom Collins, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Day 4 of our trip to Mallorca we did the best canyon on the island (and one of the best canyons I've done anywhere) called Gorg Blau/Sa Fosca. The pictures the AJ took don't do it justice, but I'll share a few any way. It was a long day, in a canyon that got progressively deeper and darker until you have to get out your headlamps for a little over an hour and it feels like you're in a cave more than a canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats the exit from a giant pothole, not sure if it ever fills up with water, but if it did it would be a beast to escape from without the fixed line since you had to go around a corner after rappelling into it to get to the exit
    [​IMG]

We ran into a dutch crew at the midpoint, they had come in from a side slot and skipped the upper section.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A potentially nasty siphon if the canyon was flowing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out of the "dark" section we no longer needed headlamps, but there still wasn't very much light for a ways further
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the exit was about 2 hours of super slick boulder hopping
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5 Son Gollard - The upper section was pretty, but nothing real special, it was the final few rappels looking out over the Mediterranean that made this canyon worth doing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a conveniently placed restaurant on the way out, unfortunately being the off season it was closed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fortunately there was another restaurant at the top of the hike out that was open and had great food
    [​IMG]

A local dish called Paella
    [​IMG]

Day 6 Li - I was pretty tired at this point and almost didn't do a canyon this day. AJ's toe was swollen and the night before he didn't think he was gonna do anything, and Keith and Jill were out as well. Fortunately in the morning AJ and Jen decided they were gonna go and talked me into doing it as well. Part of my reluctance to go though had been the fact that it was just Marty and I going and I didn't want to have to carry 200' of rope, with 2 more people going we could split up the ropes and work, which was good because the canyon was really fun, not something I'd make a special trip out there for, but once there I'm glad I got to see it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The forest of thorns
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMG_0717 (1).
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. Kuenn

Kuenn

Amazing place and pics! Really liked the dark section... have seen some places strikingly similar to that.
  3. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

In other canyons somewhere, or in caves? I have only been spelunking a couple times, but aside from not crawling and squeezing through it felt remarkably similar.
  4. Kuenn

Kuenn

Caves, pretty much. My canyon resume is made up mainly of those in your backyard, so you're well aware of what they look like.

Here are a few places that come to mind.
    IMG_0043-COLLAGE.
    Austin Farnworth and Tom Collins like this.