Send us a suggestion!

International Mallorca Day 1-3

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tom Collins, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

My friend A.J. emailed mid February and asked me if he'd told me about this trip he was putting together mid March and wanted to know if I was interested. That was the first I heard about it, and after doing a little digging around and doing a little horse trading with the scheduler at my work I was able to arrange for the time off work and got a ticket to go. Of course buying a ticket last minute like that wasn't cheap and initially I had a little buyers remorse, but that was before I actually got there and saw the canyons. We were there for 6 days and did 7 canyons.

Day 1 Hike in to Biniaraix
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jen and Jill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of the group went home, but A.J. and I headed out to do another canyon called Coanegra
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 Mortitx
    [​IMG]

Sheep were everywhere
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of jumping in this one
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats where I lost my camera (Pics are all courtesy of A.J.) Thats the second camera I've lost ruined canyoneering, and its all the fault of Tom's picpocket. (Couldn't possibly be my fault I'm an amazing canyoneer)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keith and Marty
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Via Ferrata exit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 Na Mora We got to hike directly from our house, no driving necessary
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the water dried up for the next little bit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The jump was fun and someone left a fixed line so I climbed out to do it again
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swimming out to sea, for those who wish to go this route, there is supposed to be a beach to exit after 30 min. For those who miss it (us:facepalm:) and swim to Port Soller it takes a little over 3 hours
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were occasional spots to rest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Days 4-6 will be in the next post......

Attached Files:

• IMGP3011.JPG
      Filename:
      IMGP3011.JPG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    Kuenn, Ram, Scott Chandler and 14 others like this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

3. John Diener

John Diener

Wow, indeed! A 3hr swim exit! So is March off-season? (i.e. quieter, cheaper?) Any red tape for the do-it-yourself approach?
    -john
  4. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

A.J. did all the research for the trip, I kinda just showed up so I do t know what the best season is for doing the canyons. As far as general tourism goes though it was off season so car rentals, and housing was cheaper than normal. None of the canyons required permits or any red tape so as long as you know where to go there’s no need to hire a guide. It sounds like most people who do Na Mora either ascend back out or hire a boat to come pick them up. Personally I really liked the first hour or so of the swim, after that the novelty started to wear off
    Brian in SLC and John Diener like this.
  5. Salman Mohammadi

Salman Mohammadi Salman

6. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Great!

We stayed in Port de Soller which was a nice hang. Climbing trip. Had thoughts of canyons but...weather was too nice (ha ha).
    Tom Collins likes this.
  7. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

If you're ever there again make sure you find some time to do Gorg Blau/Sa Fosca, that canyon alone made the trip worth it.
  8. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

Yep...we had thoughts of it. Waterproof headlamps even. I think the low water of being there in the fall deterred us. Especially after a hike to Mortix and seeing how low that water was.

Good times...let's see those Sa Fosca pic's!
  9. Anthony Dye

Anthony Dye

Wish I could hit the "like" button in a more meaningful way! Awesome pictures, that clear blue water looks amazing. Maybe one day I'll do an epic 'out of the country' canyon trip, but I have no idea how I would decide where to go. Sad you lost your camera, I've been there...as you know...
    Tom Collins likes this.
  10. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I haven't done a ton of research, but the more I've done I've found that there are amazing canyons everywhere, so if you find the opportunity to travel (ie cheap tickets somewhere) just look up the canyons in that area and go. That said I've heard that Ticino has the best class C canyons in the world so if you get a chance to go there do it.

As for the camera, I think I'm more bummed about the loss of pictures than I am about the camera itself. The pics that I got from AJ were amazing, but his camera is older and didn't handle low light shots very well so the pictures he took in Sa Fosca (which was the best canyon) weren't as great.
    Anthony Dye likes this.