Send us a suggestion!

Making Micro Traxion self tending

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Gear' started by knott3d, Aug 28, 2018.

1. knott3d

knott3d

Hey guys -

Practicing my ascending techniques recently and here is the setup I have found to work best (efficiency + size & weight in pack)

Tibloc or Petzl Basic attaches as upper ascender with a footloop & loose leash tied into harness. Micro Traxion clipped directly into belay loop of harness as a PCD. Running rope from micro traxion up through a DMM revolver hooked into upper ascender as a 2:1.

Now when doing this I still have to somewhat help the rope "feed" through the micro traxion. I am curious if anyone sees any downsides to tying an extra pack, 5-10lb log, etc to the bottom of the rope a few feet off of the ground to keep constant weight on the end of the rope essentially causing the rope to be "self tending" through the micro traxion?

Any thoughts?
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

Using a pulley on the upper ascender to pull up the dangling rope - the disadvantage is that when you move the upper ascender up the rope, you also pick up the weight of the dangling rope on that move, with a 1:2 mechanical disadvantage. Without having an additional weight on it, you only have twice the weight of the rope below you. If you add additional weight...

You do get some of that energy back when you step up, as your dangling weight will be counterbalancing you at that point. If you were setting up for a speed competition and had huge arms, a two-handed upper ascender and a 1/4 body weight bottom weight might be the way to go.

What might work better is to add a strap to hold the Micro Traxion UP (like cavers do) so it will self-tend. Then you are not doing the extra work of moving that weight up and down. Without holding the MT up, it will self-tend, but you will loose 6" of height or more every time you lean back on it.

Tom
    knott3d likes this.
  3. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

The OP's method is one I use, but, subbing a Grigri for the MT (although I've used a micro or mini traxion when I know I don't want to descend and its a straight shot). With a bit of bicep tendinitis, I much prefer pulling down myself.

Not sure I understand your point, Tom, about loosing 6" every time you lean back on it?

Seems like when you step up, the redirect rope is pulled down and that maintains tension on the PCD? Wouldn't loose any distance as its at the top of its travel up the rope, weight transfer, then push the upper ascender up. Easy peasy.

Am I missing something?

(Another thing the OP could do to increase some distance is to not use the belay loop, but, attach to the harness tie in points? Shorten the distance by a few inches).

To the OP's question...you could always bag the extra rope and have it suspended a couple feet off the ground...
    knott3d likes this.
  4. knott3d

knott3d

Thanks for that tip! I will definitely try attaching directly to the tie in points
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

I was not clear. Without the pulley on the upper ascendor, and without the strap holding the MT up, the MT will self-tend, but will flop down and up in the process, thus one would loose that 6" in each flop.

Good point about attaching it closer to the body.

When it makes sense, I usually leave my pack at the bottom, tied to the rope with slack (to be hauled up after jugging). Could use that as your counterweight too.

Tom
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. Brian in SLC

Yep.

Small weight penalty, but, I sure prefer a handled ascender...(some distance lost there, too, but, having a biner/pulley combo helps on that re-direct).

Good times...
  7. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

Instead of the extra weight hanging for "rope weight" learn to pinch the rope between your feet as you stand up.
    Kuenn, wsbpress, Rapterman and 2 others like this.
  8. Brian in SLC

Sonny from across the puddle!

Hey, start a Ticino thread...I need updates...ha ha! You guys gettin' some wet weather? Hope all is well.
    Rapterman and hank moon like this.
  9. Sonny Lawrence

Sonny Lawrence

Only on rain day in Ticino and one in Dolomites. We lucked out. I thought about you, Brian, a lot while in the Dolomites.