Send us a suggestion!

UT: Zion Lower Das Boot to Subway

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by canyongoat, Apr 30, 2018.

1. canyongoat

canyongoat

Lower Das Boot to the Subway- Wasn't flowing until about halfway through Das Boot. Water was clear after that. Hot day (reported to be a high of 88), but pleasant hiking weather. 2 of 3 of us wore dry suits with fleece and were comfortable. We probably would've been okay with our 3/4 wet suits. the other wore a long 3/4 wet suit on top of a shorty and didn't seem to get too cold but kept moving and went ahead to sit in the sun.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

LOWER Das Boot?

Revisionist canyon naming???

Tom
    Ram likes this.
  3. Ram

Ram

:rolleyes2:
    We used to call the whole Left Fork, above Russell Gulch by two names. Upper Upper Left of North or fully spelled out..... Upper part of Upper Left Fork of North Creek...and
    Lower Upper Left of North or spelled out Lower part of Upper Left Fork of North Creek. This was making fun of Mr. Kelsey for him declaring that his names were better or the best, because they told you where the canyon was, as opposed to what others chose... their "silly" names. The man needed to have more fun from the simple things in life....but I digress.

Our Lower Upper Left of North became Das Boot after that infamous descent of Pitney and his writing that story. My point? I am getting there..

Das Boot is eight tenths of a mile long. It was nothing more than a slightly meatier version of the Subway route. But soon people starting asking rangers and people at the permit desk..."I want a permit for Das Boot!" They asked enough that the park gave it to you! A separate permit, with addition cost, for a slight variation of the canyon. Lesson, you say? Be careful what you ask for....and go and have fun, with the simple things in life!
    :thumbsup:
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. ratagonia

ratagonia

Zion afficionados will immediately notice that Ramoo does not personally purchase permits in the Park. Additional cost? Not so much. When you get a permit, you can get multiple canyons on the same permit, as long as vehicle travel is not involved between canyons. Heaps and Imlay? one permit, two canyons. Kolob Heaps Imlay, one permit, three canyons. Costs are per permit, not per canyon.

Although, yes, if you get a reservation, you will have to pay 5$ for the separate reservation.

Tom
    nkanarik and spinesnaper like this.
  5. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Who has done that? Savage...
  6. Mike

Mike epic blarneys

Yellow Dart likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

8. Ali Miller

Ali Miller

Um, wow!

I love Canyon Tales. I guess it makes sense that you folks are great storytellers. :)