Send us a suggestion!

Lower Antelope Canyon open?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by Kris Nosack, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Kris Nosack

Kris Nosack Guest

Todd's pictures got me thinking: Is lower Antelope Canyon now completely open? I'd heard that after that flash flood a few years back that claimed all but one of a tourist group that lower Antelope Canyon was closed. Then I heard that the upper part of lower Antelope Canyon was open. And I can't help wonder if the whole lower section is open now. From what I've heard, lower Antelope canyon is exceptional. Anyone know the lastest?

- Kris Nosack
  2. Lower Antelope -- "The Corkscrew" -- has been open for quite some time, but it has changed a lot since the good old days.

When I first visited Antelope in the early 80's we rappelled all of the drops. In the early 90's an enterprising Navajo named Ernie Lister sat at the entrance, charging for the use of his ladders. Price varied based on Ernie's assessment of the value of your camera equipment. I met some people who paid as much as $150.

The "concession" is now run by Kenneth Young (Ernie's cousin) and his family. At the time of the flash flood each of the drops was facilitated by aluminum ladders. They now sport custom built steel staircases. Previously you had to return the way you went in. Now there is a giant staircase at the turn-a-round, so you can climb out there or return. There are several metal boxes bolted to the rock along the rim of the canyon. Each contains a cable ladder that can be dropped over the edge to facilitate emergency exit if necessary.

Rich
  3. Kris,

I'm not sure what you mean by the lower section but I made it to the 30 ft drop at the back. Is there more to the canyon than this??

Todd ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kris Nosack" kn@xmission.com> To: <Yahoo Canyons Group> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 12:09 AM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Lower Antelope Canyon open?

> Todd's pictures got me thinking: Is lower Antelope Canyon now completely > open? I'd heard that after that flash flood a few years back that claimed > all but one of a tourist group that lower Antelope Canyon was closed. Then > I heard that the upper part of lower Antelope Canyon was open. And I can't > help wonder if the whole lower section is open now. From what I've heard, > lower Antelope canyon is exceptional. Anyone know the lastest?
    > - Kris Nosack

Sponsored by the American Canyoneering Association > http://www.canyoneering.net
    > Getting too much email from the Canyons Group? > Don't unsubscribe; change your email options.
    DAILY DIGEST OPTION will deliver one email > to you each day summarizing that day's messages.
    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you > must visit the web site to view messages.
    > Your use of Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
  4. Kris Nosack

Kris Nosack Guest

Thanks for the reply, Rich!

So is the "steel laddered" section now open to the (paying) public? Or do you still have to stop before you get to the downcanyon section with the drops? Is the rest of the canyon below the "steel laddered" section good (narrow, sculpted, scenic)? I thought I remember reading that before the flash flood deaths you could go all the way down the canyon to Lake Powell and that even this lower-lower section was excellent.

Forgive my ignorance and non-politcal correctness, but don't Native Americans espouse a deep (religious even) respect for the land? Aren't these steel ladders a desicration to them? But as always it seems that when money is talking, someone will listen - even if it means going against social norms or what you believe in. Just seems odd.

Even adulterated, I still want to visit upper and lower Antelope Canyon some day. It's beauty (even though marred in places) is still striking and awe inspiring.

- Kris Nosack

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 rcwild@wildernessmail.net wrote:

> Lower Antelope -- "The Corkscrew" -- has been open for quite some time, > but it has changed a lot since the good old days.
    When I first visited Antelope in the early 80's we rappelled all of the > drops. In the early 90's an enterprising Navajo named Ernie Lister sat > at the entrance, charging for the use of his ladders. Price varied > based on Ernie's assessment of the value of your camera equipment. I > met some people who paid as much as $150.
    The "concession" is now run by Kenneth Young (Ernie's cousin) and his > family. At the time of the flash flood each of the drops was > facilitated by aluminum ladders. They now sport custom built steel > staircases. Previously you had to return the way you went in. Now there > is a giant staircase at the turn-a-round, so you can climb out there or > return. There are several metal boxes bolted to the rock along the rim > of the canyon. Each contains a cable ladder that can be dropped over > the edge to facilitate emergency exit if necessary.
    Rich
  5. --- In canyons@y..., rcwild@w... wrote: > ... > They now sport custom built steel > staircases. Previously you had to return the way you went in. Now there > is a giant staircase at the turn-a-round, so you can climb out there or > return. There are several metal boxes bolted to the rock along the rim > of the canyon. Each contains a cable ladder that can be dropped over > the edge to facilitate emergency exit if necessary. >

And we argue about a few bolts.

Kris wrote:

> RichForgive my ignorance and non-politcal correctness, but don't Native Americans espouse a deep (religious even) respect for the land?

Another (politically useful) myth bites the dust. I'm not intending to insult any NAs that feel this way, but I know several that think tree huggers are nuts.

Gordon