Send us a suggestion!

Lost rope top of Englestead canyon, 9/1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgan, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Morgan

Morgan

Hi,
    I thought it was a reasonably acceptable practice to leave a 300' rope on the entrance rappel to Englestead, and since I live up in the Ponderosa neighborhood it is very quick and easy for me to retrieve. But on Sunday 9/1 after finishing Englestead I went to retrieve my rope and it was gone :( Additionally someone had done a bunch of anchor work (cut the watercourse webbing off the tree, moved the left webbing way high up on the tree and removed my rope)

I asked the park service and they haven't seen it turned in by personnel or anyone else.

I would really appreciate having it returned. But if someone needed it that badly, I hope it went to a good cause.

Thanks,

Morgan
    hank moon likes this.
  2. Evan Christensen

Evan Christensen Evan C

That's terrible that someone took your rope. I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving a rope on a busy canyon. Did you leave a note attached? I'm just curious to hear from others if it is common practice to leave a rope there. Bummer.
    Kuenn likes this.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I don't think it's common practice to leave it, but have heard of it being done. Even if it is common practice, it's always a gamble when dealing with the general public.

Most common is just carrying it through the canyon or if you don't want big ropes do the the 2 stage entry.
  4. Morgan

Morgan

I have located the rope so all is good.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

In general, leaving stuff out in the wild without a note creates the possibility of someone thinking it is trash and removing it. Taking out the trash is considered a benefit to society.

Kinda thought the first rap in Englestead was an exception. For most people. Conspicuously, not for all.

Tom
  6. MeiDayMeiDay

MeiDayMeiDay

I'm glad you found it. Did a ranger end up having it? I know that they remove rap lines from el Capitan in Yosemite every once and a while to keep people from coming down on stuff thats been weathered.
  7. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Moving the webbing up the tree at that spot is to make the rope go over less of an angle on the edge, preventing sheath wear. It also gives line of sight on the anchor from the bottom, which is generally best practice (for sheath wear, clean pull, and minimized grooving). :)
    Blake J and MeiDayMeiDay like this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

And also makes starting the rappel easier and faster. The load on the tree may also be better that way, being mostly straight down, rather than straight out.

Tom
    MeiDayMeiDay and Yellow Dart like this.