Send us a suggestion!

Lost Creek Canyon-a quick PNW TR

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by chraud, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chraud

chraud Guest

Ken Leibert and I descended a new (for us, not geologically) canyon in the Coast Mountains about an hour east of Vancouver. The canyon was intended to be a very quick warm-up for a more serious neighbouring project, but we ended up spending a lot of time just gawking at the scenery. In fact, we used up a substantial portion of the day and said neighbour is still incomplete. I've posted a few photos (eight actually) at the following link, by no means remotely close to capturing the beauty of the place:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7425149@N06/

A bonus to this is that this is actually quite easily accessible. A drawback is that the upstream entry is quite well known and strewn with trash from the local drunken pool-jumper set. The entry and exit raps are quite short and could be jumped, hence the use of a pseudonym in the flickr photos. If the locals knew it was an easy descent, the canyon itself would probably look like a recycling depot (hopefully they don't frequent canyoneering web forums).

Sample conversation for the day:

K: "Was that gunshots? I thought Canadians weren't allowed guns" C: "Only in public. In private, we shoot at each other as much as any advanced society" :)
  2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

WOW! That water is so clear! That place looks just fine in the pictures, dude! Nice find! You headed south to hook with the annual NW Canyon gathering? Jealous of all of you. looks just lovely. Thanx Chris

\--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "chraud" <chraud@...> wrote:
    Ken Leibert and I descended a new (for us, not geologically) canyon > in the Coast Mountains about an hour east of Vancouver. The canyon > was intended to be a very quick warm-up for a more serious > neighbouring project, but we ended up spending a lot of time just > gawking at the scenery. In fact, we used up a substantial portion of > the day and said neighbour is still incomplete. I've posted a few > photos (eight actually) at the following link, by no means remotely > close to capturing the beauty of the place:
    > A bonus to this is that this is actually quite easily accessible. A > drawback is that the upstream entry is quite well known and strewn > with trash from the local drunken pool-jumper set. The entry and exit > raps are quite short and could be jumped, hence the use of a > pseudonym in the flickr photos. If the locals knew it was an easy > descent, the canyon itself would probably look like a recycling depot > (hopefully they don't frequent canyoneering web forums).
    K: "Was that gunshots? I thought Canadians weren't allowed guns" > C: "Only in public. In private, we shoot at each other as much as any > advanced society" :) >
  3. chraud

chraud Guest

Ram,

Glad you liked 'em. For such a low effort place, my grin pretty much went ear-to-ear.

I have an interview to get out of the way, then off to the PNW fun. Some good-looking stuff to do out there including an extended Thornton and an, ahem, "$70 special" ;-) Then farther south for some Utah canyons. I hope the waterworks are off when I get down.

-Chris

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adkramoo" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    WOW! That water is so clear! That place looks just fine in the > pictures, dude! Nice find! You headed south to hook with the annual NW > Canyon gathering? Jealous of all of you. looks just lovely. Thanx Chris
    \--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "chraud" <chraud@> wrote:

Ken Leibert and I descended a new (for us, not geologically) canyon
    in the Coast Mountains about an hour east of Vancouver. The canyon
    was intended to be a very quick warm-up for a more serious
    neighbouring project, but we ended up spending a lot of time just
    gawking at the scenery. In fact, we used up a substantial portion of
    the day and said neighbour is still incomplete. I've posted a few
    photos (eight actually) at the following link, by no means remotely
    close to capturing the beauty of the place:

> A bonus to this is that this is actually quite easily accessible. A
    drawback is that the upstream entry is quite well known and strewn
    with trash from the local drunken pool-jumper set. The entry and exit
    raps are quite short and could be jumped, hence the use of a
    pseudonym in the flickr photos. If the locals knew it was an easy
    descent, the canyon itself would probably look like a recycling depot
    (hopefully they don't frequent canyoneering web forums).

K: "Was that gunshots? I thought Canadians weren't allowed guns"
    C: "Only in public. In private, we shoot at each other as much as any
    advanced society" :)
    >
  4. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "chraud" <chraud@...> wrote:
    Ram,
    Glad you liked 'em. For such a low effort place, my grin pretty much > went ear-to-ear.
    I have an interview to get out of the way, then off to the PNW fun. > Some good-looking stuff to do out there including an extended > Thornton and an, ahem, "$70 special" ;-) Then farther south for some > Utah canyons. I hope the waterworks are off when I get down.
    -Chris

Finally found the section of Thornton Creek everyone has been raving about. Looked wonderful!! Have a save trip and report back to us when you return. Where in Utah you headed? Safe Passage Ram