Send us a suggestion!

Looking for someone to show me the ropes

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Ross Platt, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

So I was pretty much thrown into canyoneering a year ago. A friend of mine had organized a group of 12 to descend Pine Creek and asked me, a climber, to lead the canyon since I had the most technical experience. Despite all of the mistakes made, my wife and I were hooked and have been descending many canyons since then. Because of the way I was introduced to canyoneering, I have never been with someone more experienced than me, and everything that I know I have learned from the internet. I would like to change that. I am looking for experienced partners to take me out this fall to descend some more advanced canyons. So far my resume includes a 200 ft. rappel, a couple semi-keeper escapes, one full keeper escape by stemming (Zero G), moderate stemming, two class C canyons, and a little bit of fiddlestick/retrievable anchor use, spread through 12 canyons. The skills I am specifically looking for are more pothole escapes, retrievable anchors (sandtraps, more fiddlesticking, etc.), long rappels, building natural anchors (specifically deadmans), and anything else you think I could use. My wife works every other Saturday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. so I am used to taking day trips down to southern Utah. Thanks for any help that you can give me!
    hank moon and Rapterman like this.
  2. Rapterman

Rapterman

What area do you live in?
    Las Vegas has a strong canyoneering group that welcomes those that have
    caught the canyoneering bug.
    :)

See looking for new partners post ...
  3. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

Unfortunately I live in Provo for the moment. Las Vegas is a little far of a drive for my day trips, but I will definitely look there if I ever get a longer trip!
    Rapterman likes this.
  4. cjhaines

cjhaines

I know this isn't what you're looking for since I don't really consider myself "experienced," but my wife and I live in the Provo area and are always looking for partners if you ever need someone to go with. We do Lake Powell canyons on a regular basis (the Annie's, etc.) and have done a few minor keeper pothole escapes there, as well as a fair share of canyons in Zion and a couple in the Escalante area. No experience with Sandtraps, however, since I'm poor :). Always down to drive all day to get to a canyon haha. Hit me up if you ever need someone to get out with.
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

CJ, my wife and I are always looking for people to go on adventures with, we will definitely have to do a trip sometime
    Rapterman likes this.