Send us a suggestion!

Looking for Slot Canyons groups April 5-20

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by basia, Mar 22, 2015.

1. basia

basia basia

Hi to everybody! We would love to do some canyoneering in April between 5-20 and hoping we might join up some groups /if you have extra room/ in any place in Utah. We had an unforgettable memories after taking part in FFXIII and would like to have a chance to do that again.Basia.
    Ram likes this.
  2. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I will be doing canyons the 12/13th and 19/20th as long as my schedule for work stays the same. I will most-likely be in North Wash, Swell, Ticabbo, or possibly Escalante. I live in Torrey, UT. I will be solo to 3 or 4 depending on day. I normally day trip from my house.

Couple of questions:

How many is "we"? What are experience levels? Related training? Gear?

Even a member that you have been out with would be helpful? You never know who lies on the internet until you start down a canyon. This info would probably be good for anyone reading this.

You can PM if you are interested in those days. I am always looking for opportunities to canyoneer with new people.
    Ram likes this.
  3. basia

basia basia

Hi! We are 2 of us. Jurek and Basia, We have done canyons in ZionNP: Echo,Pine Creek, Subway and a few canyons during FFXIII:Slideanite, HogI,II,III,Leprechaun West. We are not very advanced in canyoneering but in a group of more experienced people we would get more confidence.We are having problems with area where canyons are, we have book-guides and reading a lot about canyons ratings,but still not sure if this is a correct one. We have all gear needed in canyons: 300' and 100' rope, biners, slings ...We can make 12/13 but we'd like to stay there or nearby a whole week / it's far away from Chicago/, maybe we get luck and join some other folks. It means a lot to us to have a chance to have a practice in Utah canyons with other people. What do you think about our get together?
  4. Ram

Ram

I think people should go out with these folks if they can. Wish that I could
  5. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

We can probably make something happen the 13th. Probably Swell, North wash or maybe the Roost (Constrictnine-potentional it's a beautiful canyon) . If you are confident in doing easy canyons as 2, you could spend a few days on the Irish canyons in North wash and can camp right at the mouth of Sandthrax. Unfortunately the summer has picked up so I have to work everyday except for those 4 days in that time period.

Try bluugnome.com for data. it is pretty good for the Southern Utah in particular.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  6. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Plus at sandthrax campground, you have a good opportunity to meet up with other canyoneering willing to add a few to their groups.
  7. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

Basia & Jurek, I will be canyoneering Friday through Sunday, starting in North Wash and working my way to Boulder. I have two newbies in tow on their first trip, possibly a third joining from Boulder. These are strong adventurous fellas but as green as they come in our playground. With that in mind, you'd be welcome to join.
  8. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

My schedule just got changed due to some training the prior week. I will be off 14-16th now (i will have a training at 1400 hours at Capitol Reef on the 16th but could do a half a day in the park that morning). I am now working OT on the 13th instead of off. It may even work better for you. Depending on which weekend EvergreenDean is referring to you could end up a whole week of canyoneering with groups. My group size is up in the air now. It could be just me meeting up with you guys or a group of 2 to 4.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. EvergreenDean

EvergreenDean OK with what happens

I am out this Friday, the 3rd. I did pick up three more for my group but we'd be OK with two more. Friday: North Wash, Saturday: Ticaboo Mesa, Sunday: Cap Reef or Escalante...TBD.
  10. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

go do neon and give a report ;-)

PM if you need conditions on the Reef.
  11. basia

basia basia

Hi Kyle! Thank you for your suggestions!! I like that website bluugnom and got a lot of knowledge about canyons from them. We are planning to leave Chicago on April 5th, and going to do some hiking around Eskalante in first week of our being there, and next week we could go to the Sandthrax campground to see if there are chances to meet other people to join them. My question is,do you know which canyons you are going to do and where will be our potential place to meet up?
  12. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

I would prefer to do something I have done before to start with (a few of the Irish, hog warts and/or Morrocco). I could meet you in North Wash area the 14th (probably around 9 am) somewhere then I would probably camp there that night and do a few canyons the 15th in North Wash or Poison Springs. I am still not sure on my group size my day a messed up. I would probably head back home the night of the 15th since I have training a 2 pm the 16th.

Other option is if you pass through the Park on way to north wash on the 13th, we could do a few canyons in the park on the 14th and 15th.

If either sounds good, I can PM you my cell and google voice #. Thursday I am going out with another member and maybe he will be available the 14/15 we will see.
  13. basia

basia basia

Sounds good, we will be there, Sandthrax campground Sunday 12th, is there you going to camp? I am afraid of cell connection in there..not sure if there is network...We will have our cells and check them ,hope they gona work! It will be excellent if we could meet at the campsite and talk and see what will come out..Thanks again for your generosity!
  14. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

15. basia

basia basia

I just checked out Morrocco canyon and it is close to Hog Spring Rest Area, we know that place , we camped close up there/Sandthrax CG/on last FF, would be great to meet you there.Looks like we've got plans!
  16. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

in process of send you a message suggesting there instead of sandthrax