Send us a suggestion!

Looking for partners Zion Telephone May 30, Pine Creek May 31

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by John U-Man, May 7, 2019.

1. John U-Man

John U-Man

I have lottery permit for 6 for Telephone Canyon May 30 & Keyhole/Pine Creek May 31.
    It is my son and I, so we have room for 2-4 more.
    I have a 213' - 9mm static rope to double rope all of the raps <100'.
    Except the first rap at telephone is 185' so we will rap down a single
    rope and I have 220' tagline.
    We have done Keyhole and Pine Creek before, wetsuits will be need for that.

- John
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

I'll bet Telephone still has dangerous snow drifts still by then
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

More canyons might be open by May 30th, though the trail situation is unlikely to change by then.

T
  4. John U-Man

John U-Man

Any update on the trail conditions for Telephone May 30th? Still mud & snow?
    We also planned on wet suits for Pine Creek May 31st, dry suits needed?
  5. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

Hard to say. We've been getting rain here these last 5 days (even right this moment), which means the mesa's been getting snow. Anybody's guess as to what's in the slot.

I know there was a recent descent up near the reservoir where they had to climb a 10' ice shelf in the technical section this last weekend...
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

C'mon. It only rained hard for an hour today... most of the day it was but a light rain. And the hail was very small, hardly worth calling hail.

Tom
  7. CRNPRES

CRNPRES

Plan for wet condition for telephone and all trails for pretty much all Utah canyons at this point.

As for pine creek, depends on thickness of your wetsuits, group size and speed then throw out your speed and group size because the canyon will be full and you need to plan for being stuck behind other groups. I have done Pine Creek three times in the last month and a half varying from a 4/3 full to Two 4/3 full one over the other, but none of the times did we have a group more than 3 and took more than 1.5 hour through the tech portion. The canyon itself pre- this rain was holding a lot of water.

PS anyone planning to hit the north fork road, it was pretty bad yesterday when I drove out to nearly to the turn off for Dakota ridge. I was in a little capable 4x4. Probably needs a couple day of warm temps and sunshine. Bad as in wet mud/clay and lots of fish tailing.
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    YoungBuck, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  8. VBlueV

VBlueV

Did the approach to Telephone on Friday 24 May.
    Rained most the night prior, but then cleared up to partly cloudy. It was warm in the Sun, but quickly cooled off in the shade or when overcast.
    No snow on the West Rim Trail nor the Plateau around Cabin Spring to the top of Telephone, just some small drifts in shaded ravines as we approached the turn to Behunin.

However, there was a cold waterfall flowing nicely into the head of Telephone and a brisk canyon wind blowing up from within the deep slot.
    Even with hauling wetsuits (ranging from 3mm or 5mm) and ropes up all that way.. decided to let discretion be the better part of valor.. and then just called it a scouting trip and nice scenic hike to the West Rim and back.

Could we have dropped in. Yes. But just wasn't feeling like shivering through a deep shaded windy (unknown to me) slot at that point. Also had seen photos of skinny slot rappel stations in Telephone where the frigid water would have funneled and accelerated. [<-- Rationalization for bailing] And, reports of super slick pour-overs even when dry.. imagine when they're wet.

On our way down, we met a group from CA who were planning to drop into Telephone too.. and half of them weren't carrying wetsuits at all. Not sure what they decided to do.. but they were a more "captive audience" than us Utah locals who could just return another day.

It's supposed to be a lot warmer and drier 30-31 May. Be safe.
    Photos from last Friday..
    [​IMG]
    Small snowdrift approaching the turn into Behunin.

[​IMG]
    On the Plateau of the West Rim Trail just after the rock-face switch-backs.. approaching the fork where the West Rim, Telephone approach, and Cabin Spring diverge.

[​IMG]
    Approaching the head of Telephone Canyon. The cairn anchor and cold waterfall in view.

[​IMG]
    The single bolt and hanger on the RDC rim. This gets you down 30 ft to the ledge with a tree anchor.

[​IMG]
    And, the tree used as an alternate anchor for the long rappel to the floor of Telephone. It had at least a couple different loops of webbing wrapped at the base. Have fun.
    Yellow Dart and ratagonia like this.
  9. ratagonia

ratagonia

Good on ya'!