Send us a suggestion!

Looking for partners - Moab - May 5-11

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by Steven Nguyen, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

Two novices heading to Moab at the beginning of May.

We were planning on doing some or all of U-Turn, Entrajo, Elephant Butte and Pool Arch based on experience and available equipment but would be happy to change that up if more experienced/better equipped canyoneerers are willing to bear with us.
  2. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

DragonFly is also real good based on your experience and easy to access.
  3. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

I had it on my list but crossed it off due equipment constraints. We're flying in as part of a larger trip so suitcase space is limited. We'll only have a 60m and a 15m rope, which leaves us a bit short for the last rap at Dragonfly.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

The bolts have been pulled from the last drop at Pool Arch, so be aware of that. You must either take an alternate route or have natural anchor skills.
  5. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

We saw that! We were going to see if new anchors would be installed by May given how frequently the route is used by guide companies. If not, using a natural anchor or taking the walk off is always a possibility but Pool Arch would fall lower on our list of priorities.
  6. Sutitan

Sutitan

Out of the ones you have planned, id rate them Pool Arch, Elephant Butte, Entrajo, U-turn. If you dont mind me asking, where else does this trip take you? You're not too far from North Wash/San Rafael Swell which could open up your options quite a bit. I feel like Moab canyons arent too conducive to not having enough rope. They're usually a rappel or two, one of which ends up being large, and that's about it.
  7. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

We'll be staying in Moab for the entire length of this trip before flying up to BC for a wedding. We were limiting ourselves to Moab canyons since the plan was also to work in some hiking, splitting some of the days between medium length hikes and canyoneering.

We could be open to driving to North Wash/San Rafael Swell, but given their more remote nature and our limited experience were a little less keen on heading out there. If we had a more experienced group to join up with, it would definitely tip the scales in that direction though.
  8. Southern Canyoneer

Southern Canyoneer Desert Hiker

We will be in the area (somewhere between the Cap Reef & Moab) arriving May 6th. If were getting into some things that would be a great learning experience for you guys perhaps we could all meet up and you could join us for a canyon or 3. Gotta learn somehow as we were all in your shoes at one time or another and more experienced folks invited us along.
    ratagonia likes this.
  9. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

That sounds great! I'll PM you.
  10. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

I’ll also be around. HMU if I can tag along to northwash for day.! I am perfectly familiar with Morocco, Blarney and the easy Leprechaun! I’m also ok going out in Moab!
  11. Chris Grove

Chris Grove Yes, anytime.

I will be in the area and would be interested in in joining for some canyons. I am recovering from a back injury so don't think I can do big days or carry heavy loads. I will have a 200' and 120' rope as well as pull cord. I have never done any Moab canyons but lots elsewhere.
    Sandstoned likes this.
  12. carla merrill

carla merrill

Hey how did your trip to Moab go? Who did you meet up with and which canyons did you do? I was down there with a group of ladies but had to cut it quick to get back for the birth of a grandchild. We only ended up doing looking glass rock and U turn before we had to return home.
  13. Steven Nguyen

Steven Nguyen

Congratulations on the grandchild!

Trip went great. We ended up doing U-Turn, Elephant Butte and Lomatium (also Looking Glass Rock, but as a guided "climb").

Elephant Butte and Lomatium would both have been better with a larger group (we were 2). As a mediocre climber with limited reach (i.e. short) I was able to manage the cruxes for both with a bit of effort but my partner had a harder time. We worked it out in the end and had a great time overall though. Would do both again in a heartbeat.
    carla merrill likes this.
  14. carla merrill

carla merrill

We did Elephant Butte last year and loved the route. The views were amazing but I think I like the views from U turn even more. Hey did you do the swing at Looking Glass?