Send us a suggestion!

Looking for Conditions of Pandora''s Box

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by rockspider75, Jun 8, 2010.

1. rockspider75

rockspider75 Guest

Hi all,

I'm also looking for recent conditions for Pandora's Box. A.J. Did you end up going? Has anyone else been there recently? Wetsuits recommended?

Russ

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adventure_geek" <aj@...> wrote:
    I'm tossing around two ideas for canyons next weekend, and am looking for recent conditions if anyone has been in there recently.
    1) Swell > a) How is the road to Hidden Splendor? What vehicle can make it there? (Last year, Subaru's had no problem, carefully driven passenger cars could make it too...) > b) What is the water level like and how are the anchors in the canyons you did? Wetsuit recommended? > c) Any specific info for Miner's Hollow, Quandary Direct, Squeeze and Eardley would be great; but info on other canyons can still give me a clue on what to expect.
    2) Capitol Reef > Anyone been in Five Mile, Burro, Cottonwood or Pandora's lately? Conditions? Wetsuit recommended?
    Thanks for any info! > A.J. >
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Pandora's is basically a dry canyon. One hole can often be waist deep, if you stay on the left edge, looking down canyon (mid canyon). Except after substantial rains, one rarely gets knee deep in water. Don't let that bit of water right at the entry fool you ;-). With June temps (moderated a tad by high altitude), wetness not an issue. Don't forget the body armor though. Physical canyon for sure. Let us know how it goes. R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "rockspider75" <black.russell@...> wrote:
    Hi all,
    I'm also looking for recent conditions for Pandora's Box. A.J. Did you end up going? Has anyone else been there recently? Wetsuits recommended?
    Russ
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adventure_geek" <aj@> wrote:

I'm tossing around two ideas for canyons next weekend, and am looking for recent conditions if anyone has been in there recently.

1) Swell
    a) How is the road to Hidden Splendor? What vehicle can make it there? (Last year, Subaru's had no problem, carefully driven passenger cars could make it too...)
    b) What is the water level like and how are the anchors in the canyons you did? Wetsuit recommended?
    c) Any specific info for Miner's Hollow, Quandary Direct, Squeeze and Eardley would be great; but info on other canyons can still give me a clue on what to expect.

2) Capitol Reef
    Anyone been in Five Mile, Burro, Cottonwood or Pandora's lately? Conditions? Wetsuit recommended?

Thanks for any info!
    A.J.
    >
  3. I didn't, sorry. Didn't hear back from anyone either; so don't have info for you. (Forecast for the reef that weekend was high in the 40's, with 60% chance of rain. We ended up at Trachyte, where high's were near 60 with 30% chance of rain...)

Hi all,
    Russ

1) Swell
    a) How is the road to Hidden Splendor? What vehicle can make it there? (Last year, Subaru's had no problem, carefully driven passenger cars could make it too...)
    b) What is the water level like and how are the anchors in the canyons you did? Wetsuit recommended?
    c) Any specific info for Miner's Hollow, Quandary Direct, Squeeze and Eardley would be great; but info on other canyons can still give me a clue on what to expect.

2) Capitol Reef
    Anyone been in Five Mile, Burro, Cottonwood or Pandora's lately? Conditions? Wetsuit recommended?

Thanks for any info!
    A.J.
    >
  4. canyonsolo

canyonsolo Guest

I returned Monday night 6/07/10) from the Swell.

The road to Hidden Splendor is rough the last few miles but a passenger car will have no trouble unless Fitipaldi's behind the wheel.

Re Quandary: descended on Saturday. Except for one small hole before the keeper section, it was completely dry, but it rained hard Sunday evening with some small hail, so that might have changed. We got across that hole on a small log.

We retied two anchors and replaced two deadmans in Quandary - when we dug up the second, the webbing came free. I have to wonder how the previous group got through. Anyway, not much to work with there so we used some biodegradable material under a small pile of rubble, and lowered our packs. The stuff should start to fall apart after the first rains.

Greasewood: It may be fun when wet but as dry as it was, I can't say too much for it.

Zero G: the mini-keeper had waist deep water.

Cheers, Ernesto

Hi all,
    Russ

1) Swell

2) Capitol Reef

Thanks for any info!
    A.J.
    >
  5. rockspider75 wrote:

> I'm also looking for recent conditions for Pandora's Box. A.J. Did you end up going? Has anyone else been there recently? Wetsuits recommended?

We were there on May 16. I think we had to step into knee deep water right away and that was about it. The lower portions of the canyon were dry.

Of the things to note: the one narrow section where you may have to go up was too narrow for even our smallest party member (120 lb?), so we all had to go up and over. It was easier than it looked however.

It took our party 11.5 hours car to car. We went down canyon, then instead of hiking all the way down Chimney Rock Canyon, went up Chimney Rock to an exit on the left, climbed back to mesa top and back to Meeks Mesa trailhead. Finding a way up mesa from Chimney Rock was not entirely easy.

It felt like a good alpine day. Leave at 6am, 1000ft up and down twice, somewhat physically demanding. Great views from the mesa top, approaches and hike out, I liked it a lot.

--

Anton Solovyev
  6. Hi Ernesto,

I think my brothers and I were the last group down before you guys.

We didn't use either deadman... they scare me.  Where one was we placed a retrievable anchor further up canyon, and the other my brothers rappelled off of me and I down climbed...

Matt --- On Thu, 6/10/10, canyonsolo canyonsolo@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: canyonsolo canyonsolo@yahoo.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Looking for Conditions of Pandora's Box To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 2:39 PM

The road to Hidden Splendor is rough the last few miles but a passenger car will have no trouble unless Fitipaldi's behind the wheel.

Re Quandary: descended on Saturday. Except for one small hole before the keeper section, it was completely dry, but it rained hard Sunday evening with some small hail, so that might have changed. We got across that hole on a small log.

We retied two anchors and replaced two deadmans in Quandary - when we dug up the second, the webbing came free. I have to wonder how the previous group got through. Anyway, not much to work with there so we used some biodegradable material under a small pile of rubble, and lowered our packs. The stuff should start to fall apart after the first rains.

Greasewood: It may be fun when wet but as dry as it was, I can't say too much for it.

Cheers,

Ernesto

>

> Hi all,

>

> I'm also looking for recent conditions for Pandora's Box. A.J. Did you end up going? Has anyone else been there recently? Wetsuits recommended?

>

> Russ

>

> --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "adventure_geek" <aj@> wrote:

1) Swell

2) Capitol Reef

Thanks for any info!

A.J.

>
  7. canyonsolo

canyonsolo Guest

Hi Matt, Glad you didn't.

Ernesto

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, Matthew Jensen <mrjensen7@...> wrote:
    Hi Ernesto,
    I think my brothers and I were the last group down before you guys.
    We didn't use either deadman... they scare me.  Where one was we placed a retrievable anchor further up canyon, and the other my brothers rappelled off of me and I down climbed...
    Matt > --- On Thu, 6/10/10, canyonsolo <canyonsolo@...> wrote:
    Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: Looking for Conditions of Pandora's Box > To: Yahoo Canyons Group
    Date: Thursday, June 10, 2010, 2:39 PM

Cheers,
    Ernesto

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "rockspider75" <black.russell@> wrote:

Hi all,

Russ

1) Swell

2) Capitol Reef

Thanks for any info!

A.J.

> >