Send us a suggestion!

Long Canyon vs Gravel Canyon?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by scott patterson, Apr 20, 2011.

1. I don't think we'll have anyone else interested to do our planned river trip over Memorial weekend, so I may switch it to a mellow canyoneering trip.    I've seen most of Gravel, but not the technical part of Long.   Scenery and difficulty wise, how does it compare to Gravel?     Is Gravel better and should I just do that instead, or is Long pretty good too?  Is Long tough with backpacks?   Other possibilities might be full Eardley or Burro, Cottonwood, Fivemile, or maybe even Davis Gulch, but Davis is a long drive for us and I'm already familiar with those areas.   In any case, we'll be looking for something mild (my dad will probably want to come).

2. eastslide1

eastslide1 Guest

Long Canyon is a fine jaunt. Not too technical..backpacks were easily managed as I recall. Maybe one swimmer when I did it, but I think it was possible to avoid it. Gravel is more difficult for sure, especially if you stay in the drainage. We did the Long/Gravel loop and had a blast--through rain and snow...

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, scott patterson <kesscokim@...> wrote:
    I don't think we'll have anyone else interested to do our planned river trip over Memorial weekend, so I may switch it to a mellow canyoneering trip.    I've seen most of Gravel, but not the technical part of Long. >   > Scenery and difficulty wise, how does it compare to Gravel?     Is Gravel better and should I just do that instead, or is Long pretty good too?  Is Long tough with backpacks? >   > Other possibilities might be full Eardley or Burro, Cottonwood, Fivemile, or maybe even Davis Gulch, but Davis is a long drive for us and I'm already familiar with those areas. >   > In any case, we'll be looking for something mild (my dad will probably want to come).
    >
  3. "Long Canyon is a fine jaunt.  Not too technical..backpacks were easily managed as I recall.  Maybe one swimmer when I did it, but I think it was possible to avoid it. Gravel is more difficult for sure, especially if you stay in the drainage.  We did the Long/Gravel loop and had a blast--through rain and snow..."   Thanks for the info.    I have also done the loop, but I haven't done the technical section in Upper Long (the loop exits the canyon before the technical part).     Have you done upper Long by chance?