Send us a suggestion!

UT: Escalante Long Branch + PINTAC

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tom Collins, May 9, 2017.

1. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

After Keltons @kmanz X-Fest last Nov. I was looking forward to doing these two canyons in preparation for a possible descent of SOS and Bishop. Due to a chance meeting with @Angus because of a cancelled last minute trip I was able to go through SOS in March, but that just made me even more excited to see these.

Everyone kept telling me that if I was going to do both in the same trip that I should do PINTAC first and then LB, well due to some last minute uncertainty in who all would be coming it looked like I would only be able to get one of them done this trip and so I decided to do Long Branch first.

The plan was to drive down Thursday morning and have a leisurely day through Little Canyon with Wayne and Melissa W., then the day before I left I got a message from @Canyonguypat saying he had the next 4 days off and wondered if I was up to anything good, I told him my plans and that we were after the hard stuff. I questioned his abilities as I knew from previous posts that he had never done any X canyons, but he said he was fit and confident and that he wanted to join. I told he could come and I'd see how he moved in Little before making any final decisions and he said OK.

Even with a late start of around noon we made good time through Little canyon and Patrick moved fine so I asked if they wanted to head over to BFS canyon so I could see how he dealt with some real exposure and we made short work of that one as well. I forgot my camera that day though so no pics.

Feeling good about the group Wayne, Patrick, and I headed out to LB Friday morning
    [​IMG]

Patrick climbing up
    [​IMG]

I told Wayne I didn't think we'd see much water in the upper section so he wouldn't drag a wetsuit through. Guess I was wrong, not that we saw much but we did end up swimming once or twice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne trying not to drop in over his head
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The famous green room
    [​IMG]

And the end, I'm a horrible photographer, I missed a large portion of the middle canyon and all of the lower canyon
    [​IMG]

PINTAC almost didn't happen because I was supposed to meet up with Mark B. the next day and he wasn't up for a Full PINTAC and wanted to do Headless Hen and Raven, but a 9pm text saying that they got out of their canyon late that day and weren't driving down HITRR that night meant that I was free to decide in the morning if I was up for PINTAC. I woke up tired, but not feeling like I'd been steamrolled so I decided we'd go for it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Patrick on one of the many UC's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For someone who had never done an X canyon before Patrick killed two of the harder ones right off the bat and was interested in more in the future.
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

IMG_0475.JPG PINTAC had the last laugh though, got me pretty good with some poison ivy.
  3. Canyonguypat

Canyonguypat

I had a great time meeting Tom and Wayne, can't wait for October to start getting back out again. I managed not to get any poison ivy, I wonder why Tom was afflicted...
  4. wisconnyjohnny

wisconnyjohnny

wow nice trip!!!!