Send us a suggestion!

UT: Moab Lomatium Canyon

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Blake Merrell, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

Over the weekend I was able to take my family and another group through Lomatium Canyon. I must admit, canyoneering with family is the best! :)

Almost a year ago, this very same weekend, I ran into a group of canyoneers from New Mexico in Undercover Canyon. It just so happened that on the anniversary weekend of that chance meeting, we ended up running another canyon with them in Moab! This time it was planned, and we all had a great time. They were FUN and skilled. It was a privilege to be with them all in a canyon. (though some of them were really weary of the Fiddlestick when I mentioned using it haha)

One thing about becoming part of this canyoneering community is that I have been able to make some pretty cool friends. If all of you are as cool in person as the people I have met previously because of the canyoneering forums, then I am looking forward to meeting every single one of you!

Enjoy the Video :) It is one of my personal favorites!
    Pikan, Bill, John Diener and 2 others like this.
  2. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

Awesome job.
    Blake Merrell likes this.
  3. Blake Merrell

Thanks Mark :) It was a great day.
  4. Ram

Ram

I love and could trace all of the route from memory seeing the video. Watching all the people move through at the accelerated pace was neat too.

Enter normal exit route, breifly in Ramp Hall, up to Surprise Hall and arch, back to the slot into lower Portal Hall through Door #2 to Monty Hall and around into Grand Central. From there up Virgin #1 to the Virgin fin, zig zag upper Hanger Hall and down Skull Hall (Lomatium) thru Abbey Arch, down and out, I assume (video was over here) through the Right Ventricle and up the normal entry
  5. Blake Merrell

Nice to know the names of all those "halls" :D thanks for that :) I will start giving out this description when people ask me for beta HEHEHE ;)
    Pikan and Ram like this.
  6. Ram

Ram

Yeah, like that will help a lot:confused::D
    Pikan and Blake Merrell like this.
  7. Blake Merrell

LOL! Well, its somthing. It might be more helpful than even a GPS track! ;)

BTW, where did you learn all of those names? I need to get into the Fiery Furnace with some of you who know the place well. I would LOVE to see more of that place :D (I guess I could just go an explore it by myself, but then I wouldn't learn all the cool names of the halls and features ;) )
  8. Ram

Ram

Our names.
    Lomatium and Krill Canyon, with Body of the Whale are Matt Moore's. Our equivalent is Skull Hall for the arch and Hanger Hall, which houses "The Blimp," Matt's Body of the Whale
  9. Blake Merrell

What about the names of the "halls" ?
  10. Ram

Ram

In addition to the previously named and in no particular order...Hole in the Wall, half Dome, Rubble, Chockstone, Left, Middle and Right Cluster, Windy, Champs-Elysees, Virgin's 2-7, House, Smooch, Chimney, Cave and many more. Noted features...Slime Ledge, the Blimp,The Shuttle. Hole in the Heart, hedge ledge, Infinity Loop. Paul Bunyans Potty, The Spearhead Twins, The Cinnamon Roll, Right and Left Ventricle's, Kissing Turtles, Leap of faith
  11. Moab Mark

Moab Mark

Slime ledge, that one is so enjoyable. NOT.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  12. Ram

Ram

Slime Ledge....A couple of balancey 5th class moves onto a ledge. Then across the ledge that narrows uncomfortably in one place....The first time.....retreat would be scary back past the narrow point, if necessary. Went for it. It worked. Still an unlikely but workable "pucker" place

traverse in below the ledge
    [​IMG]

under-clings lead up to the ledge. No hand holds getting on
    [​IMG]

Da bidness. 20+ feet of exposure with a bad landing. Remember to breathe!!! Then around the corner. EXHALE!

[​IMG]