Send us a suggestion!

Late Report: Memorial Day weekend in the Roost

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Amy K, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Amy K

Amy K

@Chasetharp and I organized a get together in the Roost over Memorial Day weekend. We were able to get in Alcatraz, Not Mindbender, and Larry Canyon. Overall we had a great turnout! Some groups chose to do Mindbender, Blue John, and Lost Spring.

Alcatraz was everything I hoped it would be (and more!). I went into it knowing I would have to face my fear of spiders, and boy did I ever. I was first in line at one point stemming up and saw a big ball of them. That was the first round of intense swearing and my friend Erin so graciously sang songs to me as I cross the threshold. We got to the dark sections and I purposely did not turn on my headlamp. I knew they were there. I told myself "they can't get me if I don't see them." The fear is very real. Our friend Phil then got up in front and I followed him through the dark passages. I was sort of the dummy that went down low at a few points, only to then discover that staying high would have been easier. With some help from Phil showing me how to wiggle my body I was able to make it. Luckily I was able to let everyone else know to stay high while birthing through the slots. @Chasetharp held up the rear helping some beginners that we had with us. He also managed to clean up some old webbing and torn up rope that was left in the canyon. Overall it was an amazing canyon and great teamwork!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not Mindbender was... long! The exit was longer than expected and we took the long approach as well, making it a sandy slog kinda day. There were some beautiful raps and fun little downclimbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Larry was last for the weekend and it was absolutely beautiful! What a gem of a canyon! Really wish I brought my SLR through that one.

Attached files are some from Larry.

Attached Files:

• LRM_EXPORT_20180528_225356.
      Filename:
      LRM_EXPORT_20180528_225356.jpg
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • LRM_EXPORT_20180530_072541.
      Filename:
      LRM_EXPORT_20180530_072541.jpg
      File size: