Send us a suggestion!

Late November canyoneering

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by culoptila, Sep 7, 2011.

1. culoptila

culoptila Guest

Greetings,

I am looking for a nice place to take my wife on her first canyoneering trip over Thanksgiving vacation. My priorities are: staying warm and not getting her in over her head. I have canyoneering experience but am not an expert either. Any ideas? Thanks!
  2. davewyo1

davewyo1 Guest

I would say to try North Wash. Maidenwater, Blarney, and one of the Leps would make a nice start, and then you can do more, or visit Natural Bridges and Hovenweep, etc.

Dave

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "culoptila" <culoptila@...> wrote:
    Greetings,
    I am looking for a nice place to take my wife on her first canyoneering trip over Thanksgiving vacation. My priorities are: staying warm and not getting her in over her head. I have canyoneering experience but am not an expert either. Any ideas? Thanks! >
  3. North Wash is USUALLY good around Thanksgiving.   Some canyons to try that are on the easier side might be Right Fork Lep, Death Canyon or Lucky Charms.

Main Fork Bluejohn (Robbers Roost area) is usually a good one that time of year.  East Fork can be good then, but tends to have at least a few pools.   In the same general area, Moonshine and the Three Canyon forks are almost always good that time of year.   North Fork Robbers Roost itself is pretty tame, but the exits are not unless you went all the way down to the White Roost trail.    

Quandary in the Swell can be good, but at times it can hold water.   At the parts where you would hit water though, the route should still be reversable (with route-finding skills).  There is one new tricky pothole in there though.

Perhaps the best choices for beginners that time of year from the list above would be Right Fork Lep, Death Canyon, Lucky Charms, Main Fork Robbers Roost, Moonshine and the Three Canyon forks.     The other ones would be a step up in commitment, especially that time of year.

From: culoptila culoptila@yahoo.com> To: Yahoo Canyons Group Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:28 PM Subject: [from Canyons Group] Late November canyoneering

Greetings,

I am looking for a nice place to take my wife on her first canyoneering trip over Thanksgiving vacation.  My priorities are: staying warm and not getting her in over her head.  I have canyoneering experience but am not an expert either.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

---

When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier.  You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale.  Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.

WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages. Groups Links
  4. TomJones

TomJones Guest

If the weather holds, there will likely be quite a few other people in North Wash. You might not know it from the recent EGroup Action Posts, but canyoneers are generally friendly. Bring firewood, and if coming from out-of-state, some real beer generally goes over well. I like that Abbey Ale, but the 1554 goes down mighty fine too...

Tom

Greetings,
    I am looking for a nice place to take my wife on her first canyoneering trip over Thanksgiving vacation. My priorities are: staying warm and not getting her in over her head. I have canyoneering experience but am not an expert either. Any ideas? Thanks! >
  5. TomJones

TomJones Guest

The temps can range wildly. It can be quite nice, in the 50-60's during the day. But during a cold spell, overnight temps can often get into the teens. Consider Moab as an option too as it has lots of indoor, overnight arrangements, if cold nights will cool your wife's enthusiasm for future trips Ram from Tom's computer...and heading out again

Greetings,