Send us a suggestion!

Large canyoneering shoe recommendation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kerry73, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Kerry73

Kerry73

Hi all--
    I'm new to the group. Taking my kids canyoneering for the first time at the end of May and my son wears a size 15-16 men's shoe. Any suggestions for best footwear? We will do some true canyoneering, but also the top-down hike through the narrows-- wet all day for miles. Would appreciate any guidance you can offer on what alternative shoes I can buy for him.
    thanks!
    Kerry
  2. townsend

townsend

One thing to consider is do not buy any shoes with Gortex (AKA GTX model). They are waterproof alright -- they will keep water in (and well as out). You want shoes that will drain.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

I suggest that you take the "kid" to the DI, and find a pair of sneakers that fit with two pairs of wool socks.

Tom
    Kerry73 and Austin Farnworth like this.
  4. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

If you want to get fancy, could resole a proper pair w/sticky rubber. Overkill for the Narrows, though.

I wouldn't necessarily avoid GTX: it helps reduce sand ingress w/porous shoes. Main drawback: can get hot.
  5. Kerry73

Kerry73

Thanks so much for this very practical approach!
  6. Mike Zampino

Mike Zampino Canyon season never ends.

Size 15-16 :wideyed: @John Diener - Is this the size you wear? Maybe you could give some advice. :D:twothumbs:
  7. John Diener

John Diener

Only 13 or 14 (for neo fit), and have only used various versions of the 5.10 canyoneer for more than a decade. Not sure what I'm going to do next as all my pairs are nearly dead. Possibly a dual system with one type of shoe for wet canyons, and an approach shoe for stemming slots. Note that it may be hard to find a decent approach shoe greater than size 13 or 14.
    -john
  8. Canyonero

Canyonero

In my experience this aspect/feature of shoes is highly overrated. Once you step in a puddle, your feet are wet all day. Increasing drainage usually means decreasing durability and often increasing the amount of sand in my shoe. The shoes I currently use (Adidas) don't really drain water at all but I NEVER remove them to dump out water. I only do so to dump out sand and gravel. The amount of water that fits in there just isn't significant. It's not like your foot is going to somehow get dry.
    ratagonia likes this.
  9. Dave Melton

Dave Melton

A rep for 5.10 told me they are bringing back the Canyoneer in 2020.
    EvergreenDean likes this.