Send us a suggestion!

Lake Powell To Rise by 50 Feet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bruce from bryce, Jun 27, 2019.

1. bruce from bryce

bruce from bryce

AJ Pastula posted a story to Facebook, Lake Powell expected to rise by 50 feet due to snowmelt and it reminded me of a similar occurrence back in the spring of 2006. I was new to canyoneering having jumped in with 2 feet back in the summer of 2005 so I was looking for people to go out and do canyons with. Ram posted on the old Canyons Group that he would be doing some in Zion and knowing his abilities and willingness to assist people in learning the sport I reached out to him to join him in Zion. Well I received an answer that where he was headed was for no one with the lack of experience I possessed but he did make an offer to join him in Hanksville in February to attempt a canyon with him and if he felt confident in my abilities he would allow me to do a 2nd one the following day. Eager to be ready I headed out to the campground early on Friday and met up with Wyoming Dave and we did a short canyon prior to dinner and the expected arrival of Ram. As things went well for me in Miss Piggy I was invited for a 2nd canyon the next day, Hard Time Harvey's, which was completed but not without some embarassing moments throughout the trip. We parted our ways and I headed back to Bryce Canyon NP where I worked and kept watching the forums for a trip I could join.
    Well Ram was soon talking about his boating trip on Lake Powell and he suggested that I join him for a trip into the Cathedral in the Desert via I believe it was Clear Creek with its numerous potholes. I met him and his crew at the top of Hole in the Rock and we hiked over to he beginning of the canyon and the potholes and proceeded to make our way down to the Cathedral where Ram's friend would be waiting with his boat. When we reached the end the water had risen to about 20-25 feet below the end of the creek and we had to jump into the water and swim out to the boat. I can't remember who this swimmer was in the photo but I'm sure that Ram will know. Not sure how much this year's 50 fett will affect the Cathedral in the Desert but possibly it will be accessible by boat in the near future.
    https://imgur.com/a/75jsaR3