Send us a suggestion!

Lake Powell canyons

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by RossK, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RossK

RossK

Bit of a long shot, but anyone fancy hiking /boating around Lake Powell canyons to La Gorce and Broken Bow arches in Willow and Davis, seeing 40 Mile and Fiftymile (and Bishop's Narrows if accessible), giant alcoves & caves at the top of Iceberg Canyon & maybe the huge orange wall of Explorer, and Fence Canyon.
    (Or alternatively, if Powell doesn't come off, perhaps a 3-dayer to Cape Solitude (Colorado/Little Colorado confluence) via Comanche Point, or overnight on Canaan Mountain for Tower Arch, White Wave & loads of hoodoos.)
    If so read on...

I booked flights from the UK for a week on Powell from Wahweap and a 2nd week from Bullfrog. But due to understandable changes in personal circumstances the people I was going with now can probably only make the 1st week.
    So I wondered if anyone wanted to hook up for roughly from May 5 to 11 (possibly a day or two either side).
    If you have a boat then to be fair I'd pay all the gas + other incurred expenses. Otherwise maybe someone would share a rental boat. I know these are expensive, but to save my plans I'd consider paying more than my share of any split. This year's higher lake level is particularly good for most of these canyons. May also has long days and is before monsoon season. (The canyons I've mentioned are really hiking with just one possible exposed short rope bit in Iceberg, but if there's more time I'd be up for easy canyoneering if someone wanted to add that, but bear in mind I've only done a small amount of occasional canyoneering)

Although my first aim would be to stick to the Lake Powell bucket list, if I don't get anywhere finding anyone soon then I may instead switch to do the backpacking trips to Cape Solitude or Canaan Mountain trips if there are any definite takers who I can pencil down for those.

Thanks for reading, Ross
  2. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

40 Mile, Fiftymile, Davis, and Willow are best reached overland, so if you did rent a boat, it might be best to visit canyons that are hard to approach overland in order to make the boat rental more worth it.
    Tom Collins likes this.
  3. Canyonero

Canyonero

Who are you spending the first week with?
  4. RossK

RossK

will PM you
  5. RossK

RossK

Thanks Scot. Are none of the above four technical? I think Davis has quite a few drop-off that would be even harder coming back up. The friend who I thought to ask to come with me is very fit from hiking Uintas but even less of a canyoneering than me, and maybe hasn't even chimneyed.
    It made me think about a Davis/Fiftymile loop and a Willow/Fortymile, but then I thought water is too deep to join Davis and Fiftymile on foot, and I even saw a TR where the 2nd loop was also not quite possible to hike as near the confluence both had some deep water. I guess there may also be mud and debris just up from lake's high water spots
  6. ratagonia

ratagonia

jus' sayin'... Chris Atwood packraft photo beer bag.
    RossK likes this.
  7. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Davis is easy technical.
    It would be hard to go up Davis. Most people do it as a loop from the top end. It really isn't practical to do the upper end (which is more interesting than the lower end) from the lake unless you carried a pack up and camped at the base of the stock trail. Then you can hike up to the road and then come down Davis. It's easier just to start at the road.

You can do a Davis Fiftymile Loop from the top, but it would take two days for most. Kelsey briefly describes it in his book. It's hard to carry a pack through Davis though. The loop doesn't go all the way to the lake.
    RossK likes this.
  8. ratagonia

ratagonia

Upper Davis is technical but requires little in the way of rope. You would not want to carry stuff through that... lots of downclimbing, some squeezing. But, there is a hiking route that comes in at the middle, the stock trail, which allows access to both the middle and the lower portions of the canyon. I could see hiking in at the stock trail, making camp, exploring upward day one (back to camp), then exploring downward on day two (back to camp and hike out). I have not been below the stock trail. The middle portion above the stock trail is amazing.

Tom
    RossK likes this.
  9. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

If hiking down-canyon from the stock trail, it isn't as interesting once you hit the high water mark. The section up-canyon from the stock trail is better, though LaGrorge Arch in lower Davis is really nice.

That's how I did it and it was a good trip, but I'm still bummed about not going all the way though the slot section (coming in from the bottom of it only). It's high on my list:

https://www.summitpost.org/scott-s-wish-list-slot-canyons/823847
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    RossK and ratagonia like this.
  10. ratagonia

ratagonia

AND, Scott said:

The high water mark is not far below the Stock Trail. The canyon gets less interesting at that point, though you can still walk several miles in low water. Looking at the sat photos though, when the lake is really low, it might get interesting again. It looks like there might be an interesting side slot too, but I wasn't able to make it that far down (the lake wasn't quite as low as it is now back then).
    RossK likes this.