Send us a suggestion!

lake powell boat requirements?aka:does size matter?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by davewyo1, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. davewyo1

    davewyo1 Guest

    this question has been answered by others(who i don't want to insult) but i would like to get more feedback on what the general concensus is on how big a watercraft needs to be to be safe for lake powell/i have access to a 16' bayliner with a 5 liter inboard-outboard(terminology is probably incorrect)motor/is that too small?
  2. adkramoo

    adkramoo Guest

    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo@h...> wrote:
    this question has been answered by others(who i don't want to insult) > but i would like to get more feedback on what the general concensus is > on how big a watercraft needs to be to be safe for lake powell/i have > access to a 16' bayliner with a 5 liter inboard-outboard(terminology > is probably incorrect)motor/is that too small?

    We were in a 24 footer last year, coming out of Mt. Sheep. Levin and I kept our wet suits on, because we feared greatly that our boat would go down. Wind. Swear the boat nearly pointed straight up off some of those white caps. Real glad the driver had decades of experience. I have been on a 24 footer a lot, and when we switched to the 21 footer the difference was startling. Seen folks out in 16, but I would guess that you have to be careful of those PM winds and if ANY kind of front comes through, even dry ones. Sometimes hard to find safe anchoring. I too would like to hear what others have used too, out on the lake and what their experiences have been, including the epics. With the pool so low in the last few years, we have noted many, many revealed old wrecks, come to the lowered surface again. I think Scott has a small craft story to tell. Dave, if folks say your boat and motor are safe, I'll hook you up with some recommendations, R
  3. <<<<<this question has been answered by others(who i don't want to insult)but i would like to get more feedback on what the general concensus is on how big a watercraft needs to be to be safe for lake powell/i have access to a 16' bayliner with a 5 liter inboard-outboard(terminology is probably incorrect)motor/is that too small?>>>>> You should be OK, except on a holiday. Mike K and I visited Lost Eden Canyon in a boat that size on Labor Day weekend in 2002. Motor boats zoom up and down that channel (and most others at Powell) at full speed, while caring nothing about who might be there. It capsized the boat while we were away and we lost our gear and most everything else. THe moral of the story is to avoid holiday weekends.







    DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

  4. adkramoo

    adkramoo Guest

    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, scott patterson <kesscokim@y...> wrote: It capsized the boat while we were away and we lost our gear and most everything else. THe moral of the story is to avoid holiday weekends.

    That's a bad day. How did you get back to Bullfrog? Hitch a ride? Did you have to report it to anyone? Was the boat just upside down or did she sink? There is a 90 foot drop, under water, just outside the narrow channel (Came close to being exposed last spring). Where were you anchored? In the channel? Boat retrievable? R
  5. <<<<Did you have to report it to anyone?>>>>

    We didn't report it because we didn't know who did it. Even after we were dragging the boat out, others were still zooming up and down the channel.

    <<<<<Was the boat just upside down or did she sink?>>>>>

    It did sink, almost all the way, but it was tied up to a huge boulder on the shore, so we could still drag it out, with much work.

    <<<<<Where were you anchored? In the channel? Boat retrievable?>>>>>>

    It was quite aways down the main channel as at the current water level, the lower part of the canyon was filled with quicksand/mud. We climbed up the slickrock (pretty tough) quite aways down the channel and hiked around to the main fork (and two other side forks). After visiting the canyons we knew something was not right when we were rim walking the channel and saw our stuff floating in it down below. We did get much of it back, but Mike K. lost all of his notes from the Roost because his box must have sank. We lost a bunch of other stuff too.





    DSL Something to write home about. Just $16.99/mo. or less

  6. cntsavery

    cntsavery Guest

    Dave/goodmotor/shortboat/stayoutofwind/findcoveiftherearewhitecaps/watch forwakesfrombigsceniccruiseboatsandhitthemsquare/bringgoodanchorsandlife jackets/neneoprenealwaysgood/pleasepunctuate it's not that hard. Chris.
  7. davewyo1

    davewyo1 Guest

    Thank you for the advice.I will attempt to comply with your request.



    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "cntsavery" <Christopher.Avery@t...> wrote:
    Dave/goodmotor/shortboat/stayoutofwind/findcoveiftherearewhitecaps/watc h > forwakesfrombigsceniccruiseboatsandhitthemsquare/bringgoodanchorsandlif e > jackets/neneoprenealwaysgood/pleasepunctuate it's not that hard. > Chris. >
  8. Last April, we rented a 19 ft from Bullfrog to do Cathedral in the Desert. We left early(0900 and had a wonderful cruise down and a sublime 2 hours inside. The reverberations in the channels became interesting at times(air) but boat traffic was light. As a child, I first saw Powell from a 17 ft Grumman canoe(5.5 hp outboard) we would take refuge at the first hint of storm. We later graduated to a 13ft c-craft(cousin of the early Avons) wooden floor etc. 25 hp outboard. This worked better than the canoe most of the time. One small epic: The reach upriver(lake) from Bullfrog to Forgotten, in a summer T-storm, 6-8 foot swells, lightning, heavy rain etc. in the 13 foot c-craft. Somehow we all survived. Pete

    adkramoo adkramoo@aol.com> wrote: --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "davewyo1" <davewyo@h...> wrote:
    this question has been answered by others(who i don't want to insult) > but i would like to get more feedback on what the general concensus is > on how big a watercraft needs to be to be safe for lake powell/i have > access to a 16' bayliner with a 5 liter inboard-outboard(terminology > is probably incorrect)motor/is that too small?

    We were in a 24 footer last year, coming out of Mt. Sheep. Levin and I kept our wet suits on, because we feared greatly that our boat would go down. Wind. Swear the boat nearly pointed straight up off some of those white caps. Real glad the driver had decades of experience. I have been on a 24 footer a lot, and when we switched to the 21 footer the difference was startling. Seen folks out in 16, but I would guess that you have to be careful of those PM winds and if ANY kind of front comes through, even dry ones. Sometimes hard to find safe anchoring. I too would like to hear what others have used too, out on the lake and what their experiences have been, including the epics. With the pool so low in the last few years, we have noted many, many revealed old wrecks, come to the lowered surface again. I think Scott has a small craft story to tell. Dave, if folks say your boat and motor are safe, I'll hook you up with some recommendations, R





    When you post, please change the Subject appropriately, to make reading and searching easier. You can use the following abbreviations: TRIP = Trip Report; BETA = Canyon Beta; PARTNER = Partner and/or Rides; ETHICS = Ethics; TECH = Technical Questions and Tips; BIZ = E Group Business; SALE = Stuff for Sale. Please use a Tilde ~ after the abbreviation, so we know you are coding for us, such as:

    Subject: BIZ~ New Abbreviation List - working?

    To change your delivery options, go to the Canyons Egroup page on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canyons/

    This will require logging into Yahoo. Click on the &amp;amp;quot;Edit My Membership&amp;amp;quot; link, and change your delivery option. Press &amp;amp;quot;Save Changes&amp;amp;quot;.



    WEB ONLY OPTION will not deliver email; you must visit the web site to view messages.



    SPONSORED LINKS Canyon Hiking Outdoors Alaska hiking Alaska outdoors Great outdoors

    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    Visit your group "canyons" on the web.

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: canyons-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    Your use of Groups is subject to the Terms of Service.







    Shopping Find Great Deals on Holiday Gifts at Shopping
Similar Threads: lake powell
Forum Title Date
Meet Up Lake Powell canyons Feb 13, 2018
General Discussion Anasazi-Lehi Approach: Lake Powell Sep 28, 2016
General Discussion Boat submerged by flash flooding at Lake Powell Jun 10, 2015
General Discussion Looking for some info: San Juan arm of Lake Powell May 19, 2015
General Discussion Lake Powell - Castle Rock Cut Getting Deeper Mar 8, 2013
Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group Mussel Monitoring Update for Lake Powell Nov 3, 2012