Send us a suggestion!

Kolob Canyon water flow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spinesnaper, Sep 5, 2018.

1. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

I was planning a late September trip through Kolob. I spoke with the Washington County Water Conservancy District this morning. They are planning to drain the Kolob reservoir and will be releasing 35 cfs into Kolob Creek for the next 90 days. Might make for some spectacular photographs if you can figure out how to safely position yourself.
    Ken
  2. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

I called the Water District last week and again this morning. They are in the process of draining the Kolob Reservoir. This water release began last week. They could not confirm precisely how much water they are releasing at the moment but the plan is to release as much as 35 cfs for the next 90 days to drain the reservoir. The receptionist who would not identify herself, did state that Director Corey Cram did notify the National Park of the water release. This will obviously affect Kolob Canyon but it may also dramatically affect the hike between Boundary Canyon and the MIA trail. It will also affect hikers in the Virgin River Narrows.
    2065toyota likes this.
  3. 2065toyota

2065toyota

4. spinesnaper

spinesnaper

Okay. These people are serious about their fish. Thankfully the reservoir was not stocked with high altitude cayman or we would have bigger problems in Kolob canyon.:wtf: