Send us a suggestion!

Kolob anticipated opening

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krampus, May 24, 2017.

1. Krampus

Krampus

Forum Friends,

Does anyone know if Kolob is open yet? If not any idea when the river flow will subside enough for the park to allow permits?

thanks
    Rapterman likes this.
  2. ratagonia

ratagonia

I suspect that the reservoir is currently overflowing. The Park will not offer permits until the reservoir stops overflowing and drops at least a couple inches below the spillway, when it is under control of the dam authority. It might be another month before those conditions are met.

If someone swings by the reservoir, maybe they can comment on what things look like up there, though I doubt what can be seen tells us very much.

Tom
    LonePeak and Rapterman like this.
  3. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

As of 5 days ago it had a mighty, mighty flow over the top of the dam; and the gate by the Lava Point ranger station was closed.

We didn't get into Kolob until mid-Julylast year. And considering this last winter was extra white and fluffy, that snowmelt will likely last all the longer. Case in point is the Narrows closure due to Virgin still being above 150cfs, whereas on average it would be open the second week of May, and it will be at least another couple days before it drops and maintains that low.
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?..._00065=on&format=gif_default&site_no=09405500

Once somebody said to me, "Eh, just do Boundary, there's flow in it in spring." But when the dam is overflowing heartily, the walk from Boundary to MIA is tricky and potentially dangerous.

Edit: Said mid-June, meant mid-July.
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    LonePeak, Rapterman and ratagonia like this.
  4. Krampus

Krampus

Thanks for the replies!
    Rapterman likes this.
  5. Krampus

Krampus

I will be at Kolob this Sat for a family gathering. I'll take some pics while I'm up there and post them.
  6. Jman

Jman

The reservoir will be spilling over until late July is my prediction. There is a bunch of snow up there still!

And expect very, very cold water (read: drysuit).

The NRCS has their report for May out as seen in the first attachment.

It appear for most years, based from the NWCC graphs, that the reservoir typically increases in capacity until July... So logically speaking, you are looking at a late July descent at the very earliest this year.

Attached Files:

• Kolob.JPG
      Filename:
      Kolob.JPG
      File size:
      32.9 KB
      Views:
    • Capture.JPG
      Filename:
      Capture.JPG
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    darhawk, LonePeak, Rapterman and 2 others like this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

Last year, as I remember (always suspect), it did not open for July 4th weekend because the reservoir had JUST stopped overflowing, and there was rain forecast. There was a lot less snow last year.

Tom
  8. Alias_Rice

Alias_Rice

It's been hot and dry for the last month it seems so I called the water district just to see where things stood. They said it is still flowing over the spillway and will probably keep doing so for the next week or two. I am headed down there in 2 weeks and was hoping to get in there, but I don't have high hopes.
  9. trackrunner

trackrunner

I was there over the weekend. Reservoir is full. The overflow on the spillway is just a trickle. Nothing scary. CFS is minimal from spillway.

Release from dam is strong current. By the time it reaches the bridge a lot has disappeared. I would feel comfortable walking in the stream at that flow. No idea what it is like at when it narrows up at first rappel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  10. Yellow Dart

Looking out the back windows of my home on the Virgin by the bridge in La Verkin, have watched the waning of the river flow over the last months.

It got down to the low 60-70 cfs for the weeks previous to the 26th of June. Then, on the 26th, I noticed higher flow and darker color water. Checked USGS and it appears that on the 26th it spiked up to 100cfs, then tapered back to the more recent norm. I thought that they had released some from the Kolob Reservoir. This is the chart for the river at the Virgin dam.
    virgin.

But checking the same chart for the station in Springdale, there is no bump for the same time period, besides those of regular fluctuations.
    springdale.

Anyone know where this extra water would have come from?
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia

Might have been something on the East Fork? Did you check the other Virgin River gauges?

Tom
  12. Yellow Dart

Hm. Spike shows in East Fork stations as far up as Glendale; but not sure where there is a reservoir up there to loose. Interesting.

Worth noting, when the spike happened, Brianhead had grown from 46,000 to 54,000 acres overnight.
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Interesting. Not all that much water, but still a fair amount...

graph (1).
  14. TroyHorse

TroyHorse

Anyone have a recent condition update for Kolob? I'd like to pull a permit for Thurs 8/3.

WCWC told me a week ago that they weren't releasing. Today they told me they're releasing 3 CFS. That amounted to a trickle at the start last time I went through. Any updates on flow rate or if the pots are full?

I'm mainly curious about recent water temps and if we should bring 5/4s or 3/2s. Last time through, 5/4 was overkill. Lastly, I'd like to know if the pipe spring is flowing. Thanks!
  15. NevadaSlots

NevadaSlots

I second the above post. Any recent descents of Kolob, or any news of it even being done this year? Also, we've got some Heaps permits lined up has any one been down in recently that could give a brief conditions report? Thanks
  16. Yellow Dart

Can as @Cowboyfan when they get out of Heaps.
  17. TroyHorse

TroyHorse

I did Kolob on 8/3. The flow was a solid 3 cfs, enough to keep it wet and fun, but not enough to get in the way.

Anchors and webbing were all in good shape. Didn't replace anything.

Our group had a range of wetsuits from 5/4 to 3/2. Everyone was fine. If we were to do it again soon, I'd probably recommend a 4/3 or, if you run hot, a 3/2.

When you hike down canyon after the technical section is over (before it constricts again after the giant waterfall), be on the lookout for snakes. Our group walked right up on 3 different rattlesnakes. All rattled and one lunged. Be careful.

The MIA trail is in good shape. It was raining on us as we ascended, so I used the opportunity to kick a deeper boot track into the wet ground. There used to be a rope at the final steep section before the road, but that's gone. That was the only sketchy portion of the trail. When I hiked the MIA 3 years ago, it was a mess. One guy in our group slipped and slid about 20 feet before grabbing some bushes. It appears someone has done some trail work. All things considered, it's in nice shape.

The pipe spring was dribbling. There was a paper that said something to the effect of "Water not safe to drink." Unfortunately, that was on a piece of PVC lying on the ground that I didn't see until after I had drunk. 8 days later, I developed some nasty symptoms consistent with Giardia. I image the spring will stop flowing for the year (it was barely flowing when we were there), but be sure to filter anything you take from it.

Flash flood risk: We had bluebird skys when we dropped into the canyon, but by the time we hit the confluence with Oak Creek the sky had turned gray and it was thundering. Shortly after passing the confluence with Boundary, it started raining hard. I have a video if anyone is interested. We took cover on the hillside above the watercourse and waited it out for a couple hours. There was no flash, which surprised us, but the water level went up about 10 inches before subsiding after the rain stopped. We later learned that the weather service issued a flash flood warning for Zion that day. People in Springdale said it rained the hardest they've seen in years. We got pounded by rain a second time while hiking out the MIA.

Missing item: Assuming the first rap into Kolob is the large one (85 ft off the bent over tree that's LDC), your second rap will be off of a log jam. There's a log here that extends from the log jam down to the canyon floor. Anyway, somewhere between the first and second rap my Suunto Ambit 3 Peak (watch) got pulled off my wrist. It most likely happened after getting caught on a log while maneuvering rap 2, but it could be at the bottom of rap 1. If you found this and returned it (message me), you'll surely earn major karma points in heaven.

Attached Files:

• Kolob Final Rap 8-3-17.
      Filename:
      Kolob Final Rap 8-3-17.jpg
      File size:
      2.6 MB
      Views:
  18. ratagonia

ratagonia

Nice Pic. Thanks for the report.