Send us a suggestion!

knot peg anchor pull cord options...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pynkchink, Jul 29, 2016.

1. pynkchink

pynkchink

question for everyone and anyone: what does everyone use for their knot peg anchor (smooth operator, fiddlestick etc.) pull cord? please specify favorite diameter and lengths.
  2. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Fiddlestick.

Imlay 6mm pull cord

Whatever length I need. 50' to 340'
  3. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

The "Rap-sure" (a holier version of the Smooth Operator).. discussed a while ago on this forum.
    Same dimensions as Smooth Operator.. except for the holes. (also have a few spare Smooth Operators as back-up)

6MM pull cord

Edit: thanks Tom for correcting my spelling error....
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  4. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

Fiddlestick and whatever rope I'm using in the canyon if it's less than 150', anything over that I use Amsteel blue 1/8"
    2065toyota likes this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

chord. ???
    Deagol and townsend like this.
  6. Zach Olson

Zach Olson

200ft of 2mm Dyneema pull cord and Smooth Operator stuffed into an arborist throw line sack. I also keep 200ft of 6mm pull cord at the bottom of my pack as a backup.
    Tirrus, Craig and SARguru like this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

I use a FiddleStick which has a leader cord on it. For retrieval, I am very circumstance-specific.

Generally, I try to use regular ropes if the rap is 60' or less, and if there are only a few knot-peg anchors.

Next in line is using a 6mm polyester static pull cord, either 120' or 200'. When using this, the peg is stored in the ropebag with the cord between uses.

If the Peg pull is gonna be more than 120 feet (depending), I'll go to the super pull cord, 1/8" dyneema. But the super pull cord is such a pain to manage, I tend to use it as little as possible.

As far as Chords go, I am a sucker for big full chords, like the E flat Major that starts this little song:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  8. John Diener

John Diener

300' 1/8" dyneema in an oversized (for that amount of cord) bag (bagarino) that makes stuffing pretty darn easy. But if the rap is less than around 100', depending upon geometry, I may use any other available rope for the pull. The more the pull lies against/on ground/rock before the drop, the longer I'll go before deploying dyneema (a somewhat generalized/simplified rule of thumb for my thinking... there can be other factors). Note that sometimes the rap line is also the pull line ("U" config). BTW TreC, does that Blue guy have some more advanced Operating techniques for us?
    -john
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. hank moon

hank moon kinetically bulbous

John, you and @ratagonia are using 1/4" (i.e. ~6mm) Dyneema, which I haven't seen in the field. Would you give the brand and model of this cord?
  10. John Diener

John Diener

Hank, sorry, brain cramp... I meant 1/8"... editing my post above. Samson AmSteel.
    Mountaineer likes this.
  11. ratagonia

ratagonia