Send us a suggestion!

King Mesa X Canyons in Hot Weather

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Austin Farnworth, May 17, 2018.

1. Austin Farnworth

Austin Farnworth

We are headed to the King Mesa slots this weekend and will do either Big Tony, Frosted Flakes or DDI. The temperature will be in the mid 89 degrees and I am wondering if anyone has done X's in the area in that much heat? The heat would be nice especially with the swims required by some of the canyons, but I am curious about anyone's experiences stemming in that kind of heat?
    cjhaines likes this.
  2. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I forgot about the heat when I was talking about these with you, I've never done an X when it's that hot, but I've done it in low 80's and its not fun. Big Tony will probably be ok because the X section is short and after that it gets deep and out of the sun. Just make sure to get a really early start that day so that you finish the X section early. When I did full PINTAC I was fine in the Upper section, but in the lower the sun was shining directly on us and I remember baking, it wasn't all that hot out either, I think it was low 70's. BFS you're not gonna have much shade and that one is gonna be miserable. If you go with DDI I think you'll be okay for most of it except when the sun is directly over head, just keep an eye on the time and the sun, and when you start to get exposure keep an eye out for an open spot you could go down and rest for a couple hours and wait for the sun to go down a little.

Oh and bring LOTS of water and stash some in Dry fork so you don't have to take it all with you through the canyon
    cjhaines and Austin Farnworth like this.