Send us a suggestion!

Kauai Beta?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JP702, Apr 10, 2018.

1. JP702

JP702

Going to Kauai for honeymoon. Any tips on some canyons in that area?
  2. Sutitan

Sutitan

Let me know if you end up finding anything. Only thing I could find online is a tour company with what looks like a pretty basic waterfall rappel and old Bogley thread that kind of just dead ends. I'm headed there in May and gave up a bit on my search but would still love to do a canyon or two while there.
  3. townsend

townsend

4. qcard

qcard

We visited several of the Hawaiian Islands in May 2017 and it was really tough to find any decent beta ahead of the trip. I finally got a breakthrough when I emailed Dave Red with 808canyons and he was able to connect me with Mark Szyzka who was awesome and personally showed us around Maui. From what I could tell, the community out there intentionally keep all the routes on the down low. Since pretty much everything is Class C with significant flow, Mark said that they like to keep beginners from getting themselves in trouble. Flash floods can happen regularly. I understand that some of those guys are connected with each other across the different islands, so Dave or Mark may be able to provide you with a contact on Kauai. The canyoning we did on our trip showed us parts of the islands not many people get to see and made the trip that much more incredible. If you want either of these guys contact info, DM me as it may be a place to start...
  5. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Part of the reason for this is that is that many of the routes being done are being done illigally. Outside the National and State Parks, Hawaii doesn't have that much public land.
  6. qcard

qcard

I don't know about the legality of the particular routes, but it's true there are A LOT of private land and access issues. Familiarity with the route cannot be overemphasized and that's probably going to require a local contact considering the lack of beta. We ended up doing a 400' jug to get out of a canyon to avoid having to cross private land that controlled the more natural exit down canyon at the beach. Some landowners can be belligerent and rental vehicles have been known to be vandalized or burglarized. In many places exit ropes have to be set in advance and these guys knew where they had been set. We never could have just spotted the exit ropes (and many of the anchors) amidst the jungle without someone to guide us.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Scott Patterson likes this.