Send us a suggestion!

Jumars v. Tibloc v Ropeman v MiniTraxion vPrussik v Petzl Stop(?)

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by desertres, Mar 27, 2007.

1. desertres

desertres Guest

Since we are talking about ascenders, has anyone tried the Petzl Stop?

With my little experience, I would say avoid this one as its too tedious, but maybe theres an easy way to use it Im missing. Once its figured out I imagine its easy, but compared to the mini-traxion I use up top its slowwww....so far.

Mini-traxion compared to Tibloc is not fair at all. Point of tibloc is light-weight and inexpensive. I understand if you dont have the money just use a prussik then, but what about ascending in the water?

So maybe throw in a Petzl shunt?
  2. Tom Jones

Tom Jones Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "desertres" <desertres@...> wrote:
    Since we are talking about ascenders, has anyone tried the Petzl > Stop? > Since the STOP is a descender, uh, well, have you tried ascending with it? Guess you could, but would be tedious.

Has some quirks, but works pretty well as a descender, as long as your rope is 9mm or bigger.

Tom
  3. desertres

desertres Guest

Its new to me, but I have put in a couple tries for the ascending part. By attaching a minitraxion with footloops, then weighting the footloops and pulling the rope through the Stop. Ive nailed down the problem to the 9mm rope jamming in the Stop so I'll have to use the technique as shown in the manual, which is not to be standing in the footloops but sort of crouching in them by using a shorter footloop length.

As far as descending, its an excellent backup device if willing to carry its huge weight(compared to other descenders) and the $$$ to purchase it. Passing a knot with it is supereasy and works well on free raps and an easy tieoff. I havent worked out how it figures into a lowering/raising/pickoff system, but its easy of course to use it to change rope abrasion points like a Shunt.

> Since the STOP is a descender, uh, well, have you tried ascending with > it? Guess you could, but would be tedious.
    Has some quirks, but works pretty well as a descender, as long as your > rope is 9mm or bigger.
    Tom >