Send us a suggestion!

Join me in Zion (or let me tag along)? 7/29 - 8/2

Discussion in 'Meet Up' started by miller.alice.d, Jul 16, 2017.

1. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Hello Canyon Collective,

I've got my permits for a solo Zion trip ready to go (mostly), but I'd welcome company! Y'all seem like good people. I don't think I can change the group size for my permits, but I'd happily pick up the tab for a round of some delicious 3.2% Utah beer afterwards. ;)

My plans (which are negotiable):

7/29 - Keyhole in the am, Birch after if there's time.
    7/30 - Orderville. I'm doing a shuttle with Zion Adventure Company.
    7/31 - Pine Creek. Planning on a relaxing hike up the Narrows from the bottom after, but open to ideas.

On 8/1 and 8/2, I'm hoping to win the last-minute lottery for the Subway. I realize that might not happen, so I'm considering Fat Man's Misery and/or Boundary as alternates on those days.

I'm still beginner/intermediate, so it's probably best if you have a bit more experience.

In any case, thanks all in the community for your patient advice!

-Ali
    Scott Chandler likes this.
  2. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

I'm definitely interested in Middle Echo too, but Tom warns that the semi-keeper pothole is now a real keeper, so I don't want to do it alone...
  3. John Styrnol

John Styrnol

On 7/29 I would do Birch first, depending on which exit you take, it will be really hot in the afternoon hike out. Keyhole will be a little bit warmer as well.
  4. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Roger that, thanks John.
  5. 2065toyota

2065toyota

Birch and then down orderville makes more sense than making 2 trips up there
  6. Yellow Dart

Yellow Dart It's only hubris if I fail.

On the 31st if you have PC tied down, I'd suggest moving your Keyhole day to the 31st as well (20 reserves available), and doing them in sequence. Commonly done; suit up, keyhole, pull the top of your suit down, drive to PC (10min), pull suit up, drop in. The whole of the two of them can be done in 3-4ish hours. So if you want to make a day of it, do both, stretch them to 5-6 hours.

Also, will be a lot of people in Keyhole the 29th (Saturday), less so on a Monday.

Birch/Orderville is a thing. But Birch is... well, Birch. There are 6 reserves available for Englestead on the 30th; Englestead down-and-out Orderville is a good damn day - and much more dramatic IMO.

It's a ways out, so I can't commit. But may join for something of those.
    miller.alice.d likes this.
  7. ratagonia

ratagonia

I have a BIG PROBLEM, a technical detail that has escaped you.

Utah "Grocery Store Beer" is 4% alcohol.

Just to be clear!

Tom
  8. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Hahaha, woah woah woah are we sure that 4% is -safe-?? Someone might accidentally relax! ;) Ohhhh Utah.

Kody (that's you, right toyata?), and James -- thanks for the suggestions!

Think I should skip it?

Wow, I didn't realize that Orderville can be done in the other direction as an exit for Englestead. Seems like that would make the shuttle situation a little more complex? Also, that "4" rating that Tom gives Englestead sounds pretty scary to me at this stage. Sounds awesome though.

I'm flexible, willing to make last-minute plans, and happy to eat any of the $5 reservation fees I've already made if that means I can meet up with any of you awesome folks!
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC Brian in SLC

John Styrnol and miller.alice.d like this.
  10. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

@miller.alice.d the 4 rating on Englestead is for the 300' entry rappel, which deserves some consideration of course, but after that its a fairly straight forward canyon IF my memory (notoriously bad BTW) isn't faulty. I wouldn't recommend soloing, but if you can get a partner you could probably handle it.
  11. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

And here I am, looking like a fool with my 200' rope. :)

I'm game if anyone's available!
  12. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

You can do it with a 200', there's a mid wall anchor about 100' down and off to the side a little, but I've never tried that route.

It looks tricky to manage since there isn't much of a ledge to stand on when transferring
  13. ratagonia

ratagonia

Most people, when doing Engelstead, go out (down) Orderville. It is possible to go UP Orderville, but it is a long ways and not very entertaining.

Most people, I think, when doing Birch (especially with large groups of beginners, which you will see on any weekend day) then go UP Orderville to get out. Or up Orderville a bit, then up the Wild Wind Hollow exit, which is now a pretty good way out, except it climbs uphill steeply for a long way.

If a small group, experienced, not held up by other groups, one could go down Birch, and then have time to conveniently exit down Orderville and The Narrows to the T of S.

Recommendation: get the early ZAC shuttle and go through Birch, then down Orderville and out the Narrows. You are back in town drinking that lovely Spiral Jetty IPA at a convenient hour. Selection of "real beers" varies widely between restaurants in town (as it takes a special alc license to sell "real beer"), which is one reason I am fond of the Pizza Noodle.

Engelstead actually gets ALL the good part of Orderville. No reason to do it separately. If you want to just do Birch, you can drive up there and take the Wild Wind Hollow exit back up to the top.

Tom
    miller.alice.d and John Styrnol like this.
  14. Ross Platt

Ross Platt

Hey Alice,

My wife, her friend, and I have a permit for pine creek on the 31st as well if you would like to do the shuttle with us.
    miller.alice.d likes this.
  15. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Roger that Tom, thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the invite Ross, I'd be delighted to tag along! PMing you now!
  16. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Question for the crowd about pine creek: I see that you need to go through the tunnel to get back to the trailhead. Is this safe for a mountain bike? Is hitchhiking the only option for folks with one car? I'm usually pretty friendly-looking, but who would want to pick up a wet, muddy canyoneer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Good to know, but I'm not sure if that sounds less intimidating than the full 300' rappel. :D
  18. Tom Collins

Tom Collins

I don't think you're allowed to bike through the tunnel these days, as for hitching through the tunnel, best to leave your car at the exit and hitch through at the beginning.
    JasonBountiful likes this.
  19. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Gotcha, of course that makes more sense. Then, I'm glad I get to tag along with a group!
  20. miller.alice.d

miller.alice.d

Beer, pizza, -and- noodles? Now we're getting somewhere! :D

Ok guys, I guess I can say thank you with actual beer after all. :)