Send us a suggestion!

January conditions Badger & Seven Mile.

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by truenature9, Jan 11, 2010.

1. truenature9

truenature9 Guest

My partner and I were considering taking a group down Badger or Seven Mile Canyon in two weeks assuming no major storms. It has been about two years since we went down Badger. Does anyone know of any major reason to avoid Badger in the winter? The other concern we had was the slop hole at the end of Seven Mile's Rappel. We have never seen it become unavoidable in the three times we have done it. However,they were all during spring summer and fall. Should we be skittish of the mudhole in winter? Of the two which would you suggest? Thankyou for any winter beta, Shawn & Ananda
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

I'm still waiting on Rich Rudow to share the gospel, but having done both, I thought the Badger's had more meat on them and were prettier. And there is a way to hike out, making it a loop, avoiding having to slide back up the ropes. Last February we had no snow down there and reports from last week had no snow at Marble now. The 10 day forecast has temps high enough that it might not snow even on the wetter days http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/USAZ0130?from=36hr_topnav_golf Ram

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "truenature9" <truenature9@...> wrote:
    My partner and I were considering taking a group down Badger or Seven Mile Canyon in two weeks assuming no major storms. It has been about two years since we went down Badger. Does anyone know of any major reason to avoid Badger in the winter? The other concern we had was the slop hole at the end of Seven Mile's Rappel. We have never seen it become unavoidable in the three times we have done it. However,they were all during spring summer and fall. Should we be skittish of the mudhole in winter? Of the two which would you suggest? > Thankyou for any winter beta, > Shawn & Ananda >
  3. rich_rudow

rich_rudow Guest

Badger is better any time of year. Don't worry about potholes - they'll all be frozen and if you can skate you'll be fine :) Seriously though, you can always avoid the Seven Mile Draw pool and you can avoid all pools in both arms of Badger with good anchor placement skills. If you go early you WILL walk across the ice. Snow doesn't stick around in lower Marble for long and I wouldn't hesitate to do Badger in the snow if there was any. It would be very pretty. You don't need to jug the ropes to exit unless you want some practice. Instead you can exit up the next canyon coming in on river right about .7 miles down river from Badger. Furthermore, the South fork of Badger is nicer than the North fork that most people do. Try it to see for yourself.

My favorite (of many) Badger descents was when we hit the river then pack rafted across to exit up Jackass. It's one of the funnest "rim to rims" you can do not to mention the adrenaline of tempting Badger rapid to swallow you whole. The car shuttle is trivial if you have two cars. Ping me offline if you need more info.

Regards,

Rich

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    I'm still waiting on Rich Rudow to share the gospel, but having done both, I thought the Badger's had more meat on them and were prettier. And there is a way to hike out, making it a loop, avoiding having to slide back up the ropes. Last February we had no snow down there and reports from last week had no snow at Marble now. The 10 day forecast has temps high enough that it might not snow even on the wetter days > http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/tenday/USAZ0130?from=36hr_topnav_golf
    Ram
    > --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "truenature9" <truenature9@> wrote:

My partner and I were considering taking a group down Badger or Seven Mile Canyon in two weeks assuming no major storms. It has been about two years since we went down Badger. Does anyone know of any major reason to avoid Badger in the winter? The other concern we had was the slop hole at the end of Seven Mile's Rappel. We have never seen it become unavoidable in the three times we have done it. However,they were all during spring summer and fall. Should we be skittish of the mudhole in winter? Of the two which would you suggest?
    Thankyou for any winter beta,
    Shawn & Ananda
    >
  4. Randi

Randi Guest

It has the potential to be especially exciting, if you cross the river without a life-vest! But it's not recommended! :0)   -- On Tue, 1/12/10, rich_rudow rich_rudow@trimble.com> wrote:

From: rich_rudow rich_rudow@trimble.com> Subject: [from Canyons Group] Re: January conditions Badger & Seven Mile. To: Yahoo Canyons Group Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 6:13 PM

My favorite (of many) Badger descents was when we hit the river then pack rafted across to exit up Jackass. It's one of the funnest "rim to rims" you can do not to mention the adrenaline of tempting Badger rapid to swallow you whole. The car shuttle is trivial if you have two cars. Ping me offline if you need more info.

Regards,

Rich

--- In canyons@yahoogroups .com, "RAM" <adkramoo@.. .> wrote:
    I'm still waiting on Rich Rudow to share the gospel, but having done both, I thought the Badger's had more meat on them and were prettier. And there is a way to hike out, making it a loop, avoiding having to slide back up the ropes. Last February we had no snow down there and reports from last week had no snow at Marble now. The 10 day forecast has temps high enough that it might not snow even on the wetter days > http://www.weather. com/outlook/ recreation/ golf/tenday/ USAZ0130? from=36hr_ topnav_golf > Ram
    > --- In canyons@yahoogroups .com, "truenature9" <truenature9@ > wrote:

My partner and I were considering taking a group down Badger or Seven Mile Canyon in two weeks assuming no major storms. It has been about two years since we went down Badger. Does anyone know of any major reason to avoid Badger in the winter? The other concern we had was the slop hole at the end of Seven Mile's Rappel. We have never seen it become unavoidable in the three times we have done it. However,they were all during spring summer and fall. Should we be skittish of the mudhole in winter? Of the two which would you suggest?
    Thankyou for any winter beta,
    Shawn & Ananda
    >