Send us a suggestion!

It turns out wilderness is dangerous, even in a car

Discussion in 'Accidents and Near Misses' started by Canyonero, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Canyonero

Canyonero

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46145818&n...-6-days-stranded-in-grand-staircase-escalante
    Helena and her husband, Gerald Byler, 76, had left their hotel in Kanab early Sept. 26 for a day trip to Lake Powell using a GPS device to guide them. After driving for awhile, Helena Byler became uneasy as the roads became more rural and few cars passed them.

"I told Gerry, 'Sweetheart, this doesn’t sound right.' And he said, 'No it’s ok' ... He wanted to continue. See, us women know better," she said with a chuckle.

The couple continued to drive, but the terrain became more and more rocky, until finally they came to a sign that said any car driving beyond that point should be equipped with four-wheel drive. Helena Byler wanted to turn back, but her husband told her it would be fine, they were so close to their destination.

As they continued on, the rocks on the road got bigger and bigger, Helena Byler said, until finally the car popped a tire. They put a chain on the tire and continued on, but could eventually go no further. Yet the GPS told them they were 16 miles from their destination. It was then they realized it had been leading them to the Lake Powell trail rather than Lake Powell itself.

"There was no way back or forward, there was nothing," Helena Byler said. "In that moment, we knew it was impossible. We had to do something about it, so when the GPS said 16 miles, I said, 'I can do 16 miles.'"

Hmmmm....I'm on a road to Lake Powell that no one in their right mind would drag a boat down. i wonder if this is the right way....

Thank goodness it was late September. They wouldn't have had a chance in August.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Bootboy

Bootboy Atwood Gear

"Day trip to lake powell" is pretty vague. I wonder where specifically they thought they were going. Alstrom Point?

That said, I'm losing faith in google maps to give me the best directions. It recently directed me up an extremely rough, OHV trail and estimated the time to my destination as 1:20. 4 hours later I made it up. I didn't mind following the route because I have a very capable 4X4 and had no particular time constraints. I was just surprised that google maps had it as an option.
    ratagonia likes this.
  3. ratagonia

ratagonia

Reminds me of people starting down a canyon that does not match their beta.

"Hmm, beta says 100' rappel from a tree at the top of the canyon, but we have downclimbed for 45 minutes and here is a 30' rappel. Oh well. Wonder where we are? Might as well keep going. What's the worst that could happen???"

Dont Cling.
    Ram, Tom Collins, Dan Ransom and 3 others like this.
  4. Scott Patterson

Scott Patterson

Today I had an experience with someone on our construction project. On Highway 9 between Frisco and Breckenridge, we are cutting a road through a hillside to shorten the highway, eliminate a dangerous curve, and to get the highway farther away from the reservoir for environmental reasons. The old highway next to the lake was was demolished and turned into a (paved) bike path.

Today some BMW comes roaring down the bike path. We stop him and he said that his GPS told him to go this way. He was right since the new bike path was the highway a few months ago, but people are really going to turn off the highway and onto a bike path (which is marked as such) because their GPS told them to go that way? :facepalm:
    Ram, Deagol and hank moon like this.
  5. ratagonia

ratagonia

Facepalm_statue_small.
  6. Deagol

Deagol too many hobbies

GPS is like a firearm: a useful tool in the right hands, very dangerous in the wrong hands