Send us a suggestion!

Is the bolt still in Panameta ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Moe Witschard, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Moe Witschard

Moe Witschard

Headed back to Panameta Canyon in mid-April. It would please me greatly to not have to lug my bolt kit (in the event that the "bolt" is not there ). Has anyone done Panameta (or know someone who has ) since last October when the last monsoonal floods happened ? Any information on the recent status of that low bolt in the watercourse would be much appreciated. Thanks, Moe Witschard
    Wes1 and dakotabelliston like this.
  2. Ram

Ram

Been there from the beginning but that guarantees nothing. Are you taking twice the rope needed for the canyon? If so and you added a long lightweight pull cord, you could fiddle the drop leading to the bolt area, investigate and should it be gone, add a rope at one of the many ledges on these two multi stage drops, deploy you long pull cord and safely get all your rope back. Just a thought.
    Moe Witschard likes this.
  3. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers

I can let you know in May (Probably be there around April 22)...sounds like too late. But a bolt could be there today and gone tomorrow. I think it would be nuts to go into Panameta without a backup plan. Ram describes one (has anyone tried that?). A bolt kit is another. You know how polished that limestone is in that location, with a wet, low slope at the pool, and neither time I've been through was there much in the way of debris to even think about a deadman. One option is to bring your own sacrificial anchor--my friends bring me to leave behind as an anchor or use as an alternative food source if needed.
  4. Moe Witschard

Moe Witschard

Thanks Ram. That's a good backup plan, that I may employ. If I get a report that the bolt is there, I'd prefer to carry in just what I need to get down the 100 ft. drop. Cheers ! p.s. Hope that dead burro in the pool is gone ;)