Send us a suggestion!

UT: North Wash Irish Jihad (Right Fork of Blarney)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Blake Merrell, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Blake Merrell

Blake Merrell Lovin' Utah's Backcountry

The Blarney Canyons were better that I hoped they would be. After hiking all 3 forks of the Leprechaun canyons, this one (Right Fork of Blarney) was the next one to hike!

Jeff had just drove into camp, and he was to join our little group. Before we knew it, and really felt ready, we were on our way back up to the top of the mesa, heading for the canyon entrance. It didn't really take that long to get the head of the canyon, and before long we were romping through the beautiful canyon.

Right before we left the trailhead, we spotted a group of 11 canyoneers going the same way we were. we were SO HOPING that they would be doing a canyon other than the one we were doing. Fortunately for us, they were doing the West Fork of Blarney, and not the East. PHEW! we had avoided the monster group!

The narrows in the RightFork were beautiful (I have yet to visit a section of slot canyon narrows that aren't LOL) They were so different from what we had seen previously. It was so cool to "feel" the different personalities of the canyons. This one was so different from its neighbors (the Leprechaun canyons)

We all enjoyed the new canyon. all the down climbs were fun and relatively easy. the canyon was "wide" and pretty easy to traverse. It as fun to see my friend Jeff confidently traverse through the canyon. He had purchased a pair of 5.10 approach shoes, and they made him a much more confident slick rock scrambler!

It wasn't too long before we were exiting the canyon and gearing up for the next one. Right (East) Fork of Blarney canyon proved to be a good one!
  2. Ram

Ram

Right Fork? left Fork? Looking up? Looking down
    OK the video gives it away I think. EAST Blarney, right?
    Nice video and nice job of getting after it!
    Blake Merrell likes this.
  3. Blake Merrell

yes yes... East Fork of Blarney it is :) (you guys are so picky sometimes :rolleyes:)
    Ram likes this.
  4. penmartens

penmartens

Hey Blake,
    Thanks for being my unofficial PR guy for the Jihad! Your team did a great job of looking tired on that portion of the trip.;)
    Penny
    Canyonbug and Blake Merrell like this.
  5. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Is that an X slot?

6. Blake Merrell

Thanks! But i'm not sure it was us who set the bar so high ;) seems to me like the pros before us did a pretty good job at doing that :)

I am keenly aware that we relied heavily on anchors and things (beta) that were previously made. Without all of that being done, we probably would have been able to only do a few canyons.