Send us a suggestion!

Info on Utah canyons

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by cyber_rager, Nov 25, 2011.

1. cyber_rager

cyber_rager Guest

Does anyone know where I can find some info on these canyons? You can email me if you are reluctant to talk on the group at caverman at pacbell dot net.

These are located on the western bank of the Colorado, south of Canyonlands. The canyons are named Cove Canyon and Clearwater Canyon. Both are tributaries into the Colorado.

Thanks

Scott
  2. RAM

RAM Guest

Hey Scott

Hope the family is well. I have heard that Clearwater is nice with a dozen raps, the last a big one (300'?) that can be done in two raps out on the ledge to the right? I hear the double rap is less pleasant? One can walk up river and out Easter Pasture Canyon and back up. Road access is via the dirt road between the 2 bridges off Highway 95.

One passes Rock Canyon on the way out there. Our family spent a day doing the forks of the canyon, but not the lowest part. It was quite fun, with escapes and the usual wet Cedar Mesa climbing and swimming, fun and games. I don't know Cove. R

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "cyber_rager" <cyber_rager@...> wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can find some info on these canyons? You can email me if you are reluctant to talk on the group at caverman at pacbell dot net.
    These are located on the western bank of the Colorado, south of Canyonlands. The canyons are named Cove Canyon and Clearwater Canyon. Both are tributaries into the Colorado.
    Thanks
    Scott >
  3. cyber_rager

cyber_rager Guest

thanks Ram.

We are looking at a trip out to Utah and these canyons may be on the agenda. Thanks for the info.

The family is doing well and we are doing some caving but still feel a little bit in exile:). The east coast is just too, well, east coast!

Scott --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "RAM" <adkramoo@...> wrote:
    Hey Scott
    Hope the family is well. I have heard that Clearwater is nice with a dozen raps, the last a big one (300'?) that can be done in two raps out on the ledge to the right? I hear the double rap is less pleasant? One can walk up river and out Easter Pasture Canyon and back up. Road access is via the dirt road between the 2 bridges off Highway 95.
    One passes Rock Canyon on the way out there. Our family spent a day doing the forks of the canyon, but not the lowest part. It was quite fun, with escapes and the usual wet Cedar Mesa climbing and swimming, fun and games. I don't know Cove. > R >
  4. scott

scott Guest

Here is the info on Clearwater (the photos are old and not the best quality):

http://www.summitpost.org/clearwater-canyon/152668

I'm out of town right now so I can't check my notes on Cove, but here's what I remember.

Cove Canyon has a 700 foot drop. Rather than do the 700 foot drop follow the north side of the canyon and there is an exit not far above the big drop. Before counting on the exit, you should place a handline in advance. The climb out isn't too bad, but I would definately recommend a handline.

Cove Canyon itself (above the big drop) has a few rappels and swims that can be done with two 60 meter ropes. One drop has (or had) some tricky anchor building.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "cyber_rager" <cyber_rager@...> wrote:
    Thanks
    Scott >
  5. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

Unless I'm mistaken (and there is a second Clearwater), info for going down Clearwater and out Easter Pasture Canyons is also available on page 126 of Kelsey's 2nd Edition Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado plateau. There were four of us that did that loop in one long day - around 13 hours. The route can be done with 200' ropes; but the rap down the watercourse is much more fun...

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "scott" <kesscokim@...> wrote:
    > I'm out of town right now so I can't check my notes on Cove, but here's what I remember.
    Cove Canyon has a 700 foot drop. Rather than do the 700 foot drop follow the north side of the canyon and there is an exit not far above the big drop. Before counting on the exit, you should place a handline in advance. The climb out isn't too bad, but I would definately recommend a handline.
    Cove Canyon itself (above the big drop) has a few rappels and swims that can be done with two 60 meter ropes. One drop has (or had) some tricky anchor building.
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "cyber_rager" <cyber_rager@> wrote:

Thanks

Scott
    >
  6. aj.outdoors

aj.outdoors Guest

To clarify a couple of things. It can be done in a day, but it's a long day; we were moving for most of those 13 hours. Most people will want to break it into multiple days.

Also, when I say can be done with 200' ropes; I mean a 200' rope and a 200' pull cord. Although, I'd advise 2 x 200' ropes at a minimum. That way, one can be used for all the raps up to the big drop. If it gets a core shot, it can become the pull cord for the big drop. As always, make sure you protect your big rope so it's good for the drop it is needed for... ;)

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "aj.outdoors" <ajmail2011@...> wrote:
    Unless I'm mistaken (and there is a second Clearwater), info for going down Clearwater and out Easter Pasture Canyons is also available on page 126 of Kelsey's 2nd Edition Technical Slot Canyon Guide to the Colorado plateau. There were four of us that did that loop in one long day - around 13 hours. The route can be done with 200' ropes; but the rap down the watercourse is much more fun...
    --- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "scott" <kesscokim@> wrote:

> I'm out of town right now so I can't check my notes on Cove, but here's what I remember.

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, "cyber_rager" <cyber_rager@> wrote:

Thanks

Scott