Send us a suggestion!

info for antelope canyon?

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by goop@scs.unr.edu, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Sorry if this isn't "technical" enough for this list, but I figure people here know... I know there was a conversation a few weeks back on Antelope, but I had a few more questions:

* Is any part of antelope "freely accessable?" That is, does the navajo concession include the lower-lower part near lake powell, or just the corkscrew area? We went some years ago, to the lower part, and never got hassled (although this was in January and it was freezing, so no one was really watching).

* I've heard before that the "road was chained to Antelope." Are people referring to the very short "road" to the corkscrew, or the road that heads toward Powell for a ways (that is blocked, but only after a mile or so)?

* Rich talked about Ernie charging whatever he felt he could get out of people. Does his cousin also do this? How much have you folks paid to play in upper or "lower" Antelope? With or without cameras? I don't mind paying a "reasonable fee," but talk of $150 is ridiculously high...

* Is the "best method" still to just go down to the gate and haggle, or (I had heard) do you have to talk to a town concessionaire?

Thanks for any info! ivo
  2. The Young family runs the concession for the upper section now. The charge is ~$17 per person (as of mid-October, cameras or not). They may only man the booth on weekends now that tourist season is over, if at all?? The upper section is all rigged up with fancy metal ladders, including a giant new one that allows you to get out before the big drop that has a rusty old angle on the LDC. You'd probably need a rope to descend past this ladder (and I doubt the managers would be overjoyed to see you go in with a climbing rope). The locked fence only surrounds the upper area parking lot.

John H

* Rich talked about Ernie charging whatever he felt he could get out > of people. Does his cousin also do this? How much have you folks > paid to play in upper or "lower" Antelope? With or without cameras? > I don't mind paying a "reasonable fee," but talk of $150 is > ridiculously high...
    * Is the "best method" still to just go down to the gate and haggle, > or (I had heard) do you have to talk to a town concessionaire?
    Thanks for any info! > ivo