Send us a suggestion!

Inaccurate Release Information for Kolob Creek, Zion Natl Park-plus Kolb question

Discussion in 'Archives - Yahoo Canyons Group' started by scott patterson, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Thanks for doing this Tom.

With all this heat, I was hoping to do Kolob this long weekend. I just called (since they'll be closed tomorrow) to see what flows will be.

They said "up to 15 cfs until September 1". I then asked if that means anywhere from 0-15 and if I could get a closer figure for Jul 6. I was told they will release "14-15 cfs".

I guess Kolob is out, at least the upper end. They are probably not telling the truth, but I'm not risking it.

Anyway, what about lower Kolob to Zion Narrows? Let's say they are really going to release 14-15 cfs. Has anyone ever done that part of the canyon at 14-15 cfs? Dangerous? I assume Boundary is out as well?

We're probably doing Imlay (I assume the water is really low?), but I was hoping to do another wet and cool canyon with the extreme heat that is forecasted, even if not that technical. I hear Das Boot is pretty dry.

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the Auto Green Center.

2. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, scott patterson <kesscokim@...> wrote: > Anyway, what about lower Kolob to Zion Narrows? Let's say they are really going to release 14-15 cfs. Has anyone ever done that part of the canyon at 14-15 cfs? Dangerous? I assume Boundary is out as well?

I have hiked down from the Kolob/Oak confluence in what I thought was 15 cfs and it was not dangerous at all, but I believe that Tom has or others have the regulations has to flow amount allowed at the varies points. Tricky business. Much water seeps into the ground, but Oak adds its water. The distance from Boundary to the MIA is short and with no raps or spots too narrow. Dropping in the MIA to Kolob gives one the ability to reverse the MIA if one doesn't like what ones sees. Rock hopping these sections in flow of 10-15 cfs is neither hard nor dangerous. It is quite a bit slower though. At what cfs does lower Kolob (Below Boundary) become dangerous? Not sure. There is a rap or so down canyon before the NF Virgin River. Not sure that they will give you a permit. Be safe Ram
  3. "I have hiked down from the Kolob/Oak confluence in what I thought was 15 cfs and it was not dangerous at all, but I believe that Tom has or others have the regulations has to flow amount allowed at the varies points".

Thanks. I believe they can issue permits for anything below 15cfs for Lower Kolob, but I was wondering how dangerous it is at that level, even if they would issue a permit.

"Rock hopping these sections in flow of 10-15 cfs is neither hard nor dangerous. It is quite a bit slower though".

Thanks. If we can get a permit, we may do this one. I've done it once years ago, but remember how beautiful it was (it just had pools and a trickle in places), but since it's been several years, wouldn't mind going again. I still haven't been to upper Kolob (the real Kolob) and was hoping to do it, but that's out. However, if we do lower Kolob and see that the canyon is dry at the bottom of MIA, we may be slightly miffed about not having a chance to do upper.

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

4. adkramoo

adkramoo Guest

--- In Yahoo Canyons Group, scott patterson <kesscokim@...> wrote: > Thanks. If we can get a permit, we may do this one. I've done it once years ago, but remember how beautiful it was (it just had pools and a trickle in places), but since it's been several years, wouldn't mind going again.

It is a great choice in hot weather. The canyon is temperature controlled in the 70's max and a delight with several cold swims to cool one off. Getting down the MIA early is the key. The Brereton book is no longer accurate for that descent, as a slide has collapsed the old route. As you descend, look for the slot coming in from the right, just as the initial steepeness is waning( old car debris present here). A few feet beyond, note a trail going up a shallow drainage on the left LDC. Take this trail, over one small hill, and up a second one to a pass. From the pass traverse 50 yards left, looking east over the backside of the pass and take that gully down to the final drop, which is skirted left LDC.

However, if we do lower Kolob and see that the canyon is dry at the bottom of MIA, we may be slightly miffed about not having a chance to do upper.

This is where it gets confusing. When we saw 3 cfs in Kolob in the road, it added 1 cfs at the Oak/Kolob confluence. Oak added 6-7 cfs. By Boundary there was 2 cfs total and no water at all by the MIA. Ram